kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello,
iso:
xxl cat door/dog door for interior
a soft flap butttt
a flap that has a mechanism allowing it to stay open (=no flap or flap stays up)
a durable flap
a locking mechanism
...aaaand one that won't kill my door/be impossible to install at home
asking too much? :_(

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Soft flaps don't have locking mechanisms except for a sort of plate you slide in front of them, generally.  They are relatively easy to install, function well, and don't cause painful tail pinching, but the door will have a cat flap in it forever.   I use a soft flap for my cat indoors and it works fine (or would if my cat could be trusted to have such power :p )

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SureFlap Pet Door but it isn't a soft flap. There isn't a soft flap door with a locking mechanism unless its a manual board in front of it thing. There also isnt a door that retracts the flap without you physically taping it up.

I have the Pet Door and love it. Works great. Keeps out pesky raccoons or other critters.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We wanted to install a flap in an inside door, too, but never actually put the flap in the cutout after figuring out that it was much easier to block the little doorway with a heavy wastepaper basket when we needed to, which is very rarely.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Installed a PetSafe door three weeks ago.   Into the wall, beside our door.  It has two transparent plastic flaps.  It has a hard plastic cover that slides over it to prevent entry/exit when the cover is in place.
The cover can be used inside or outside.
Two plastic flaps help keep cold air out.

Each plastic flap has a magnetic strip at the bottom so that when it swings back into place, the magnet holds it sealed.
I went with the Smallest one they make (Extra Small).
Cat weighs 12lbs and has no problem with the size of the opening. (5" wide, 9" tall).
It was easy to install, secure, and looks good.  (I'm pretty "handy" with jobs like this though)

What I don't like about it.
I think "clear/clear" flaps would be better.
I think thinner, more flexible flaps would be better.  These "seem" pretty stiff to me, but, it is pretty darn cold and that may have something to do with it.

Curiosity got the best of the cat.  He figured out how to come inside, on his own, in less than a week.
I'm thinking there may be a "one way" on it somewhere though....written in cat language.  He sure won't go outside through it.

Twice a day, he wants out, so we let him out.
Sometimes he's back in, through the flap, before we get the door closed.  Sometimes he stays out awhile.

But, we have not had to let him back inside since he went through it the 1st time.   He knows what that pet door is and how to use it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We wanted to install a flap in an inside door, too, but never actually put the flap in the cutout after figuring out that it was much easier to block the little doorway with a heavy wastepaper basket when we needed to, which is very rarely.
genious why didn't i think of that

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A word of caution if you are installing these in exterior doors. These can act as a point of weakness in your door leaving it vulnerable to brute force burglary. Burglars kick in the flap and can kick or saw the opening to gain access.