Cat & Dog introductions?

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I hope I'm putting this in the right area. If not, I'm sorry. I'm actually asking this on behalf of my brothers and dad. They have a 5 month old Jack Russel Terrier, she absolutely adorable, but very hyper. One of my brothers wants to get a cat, he wants a kitten but I think a young cat will be better. Can ya'll let me know if u know of any resources, websites, or tips on how they should do the introduction. They're afraid that the puppy will be stronger than a kitten and hurt it. I told them I'd get them some information on how to introduce a new cat into the dog's household. Thanks everyone!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your brother who wants the kitty? Do you think he is willing to make sure proper introductions are made and devote a lot of time to caring for the kitty as well?
You are no stranger to cats, and know your family better then anyone. It sounds like you are more concerned about the puppy, which is completely valid. A young Jack Russel is already a handful, and they are bred to hunt. Yes there are steps that can be taken but is everyone in the home willing to participate and follow through.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given the Jack Russel is a terrier - I strongly advise they get an adult cat who is already dog savvy. I've fostered a few JRTs, and had foster kittens at the same time - as a general rule amongst them (esp. with a hyper puppy) I found that kittens were too much for them and they hurt them, while my dog savvy adult cats were nowhere near as interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My brother is 21, he's my younger brother. Yea I kind of figured a kitten would be a lot with a Jack Russel Terrier. I will let my brother know that it would be a good idea to get an older cat who has been around dogs, rather than a kitten. Since he came to me knowing I'm familiar with cats, I'm pretty confident that they're willing to follow through with proper introductions and care. Any specific reading ya'll would recommend? My brother really wants a cat, the last time there was a cat in their home was over 3 yrs ago, before I moved out to be on my own with DH. So he really misses having a cat around. There's no kids in the house, just my dad and 2 adult brothers. So they should be able to handle the responsibility.