Cat Doesn't Want to Walk to Food Bowl

Food_Butler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat is incredibly lazy and very attached to me. He usually sleeps when I go to work, and I often find him still on my bed when I get home. He plays with his sister at night and comes out of my room once I am back. In the meantime, he doesn't seem to be eating. He has a fantastic appetite for the wet food I give in the evening and eats a lot then. He'll also munch on his dry food in the evening. I've noticed that he has slowly lost weight since he isn't be leaving my bed in the day to eat. It really became noticable after I got sick with the coronavirus. He stayed by side the whole time and didn't want to leave. Should I just give up and put some food and water in my bedroom. I want him to come out while I am at work. His sister roams the house and doesn't show this behavior. Any advice?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lethargy, lack of appetite and weight loss are all signs that your cat is sick, not that he is lazy. Could you take him to a vet? It's best to rule out any health problems before trying to deal with this as a behavioral issue.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him checked by the vet but in the meantime put some food and water in in your room for him, if he's not feeling well he will probably want somewhere to eat where he feels comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Food_Butler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He eats great when I am around and plays happily. That's why I think it is more of a behavioral issue. He was ripping his fur out before I got his sister. He didn't handle me being at work well.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He eats great when I am around and plays happily. That's why I think it is more of a behavioral issue. He was ripping his fur out before I got his sister. He didn't handle me being at work well.
Oh in that case has anything happened while you've been at work between him and his sister or work of any kind that's put him off leaving his safe spot. I would still leave the food out to see if he will eat it while your not there. It sounds like you have become his security. I have noisy neighbours and can tell if they have been kicking off because my boy is under the covers when I get in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Food_Butler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has become more submissive to his sister. He used to be the dominant cat, but she's now the alpha. I do know she enjoys hiding behind things and jumping out at him. She's half Bengal/half Maine Coon, so she's pretty massive. She does not attack him, but she enjoys startling him. He was also used to me staying home with him all the time, since I was off work and recovering for so long. He may be insecure. I feel really bad now. His behavior got so much better after his sister came, that I didn't really think much about his anxiety. Do you know if those cat pheromones work? I'll definitely put some food and water in the room for him in the meantime.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has become more submissive to his sister. He used to be the dominant cat, but she's now the alpha. I do know she enjoys hiding behind things and jumping out at him. She's half Bengal/half Maine Coon, so she's pretty massive. She does not attack him, but she enjoys startling him. He was also used to me staying home with him all the time, since I was off work and recovering for so long. He may be insecure. I feel really bad now. His behavior got so much better after his sister came, that I didn't really think much about his anxiety. Do you know if those cat pheromones work? I'll definitely put some food and water in the room for him in the meantime.
From what people have said they do help but I've never had to use them cat's can be weird don't beat yourself up. Good luck you could maybe try moving his food a little at a time until he's back eating where you want him but baby steps.