Cat doesn't seem to know his limits and tires himself out?

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had our new cat Jupiter for about two weeks now, and we're starting to notice something that we haven't experienced with other cats we've had, so I'm coming here for some help from you friendly folks!

Here's as much background information as we have about him:

-10 to 11 months old, DSH

-was a stray rescued from a Native reserve, brought into the care of a foster home affiliated with a rescue group

-stayed with 2-3 different foster homes before he came home with us

-neutered back in April, still has his claws

-he has had a checkup with our vet when we first got him, and that was a-ok, but Jupiter was also being a bit of a stinker when the vet was trying to examining him so perhaps he missed this?

He is really full of spunk and energy, and the problem is that he doesn't seem to know his limits. He will start chasing after a ball or just running around the house, and maybe 2 minutes into it we notice that he will start panting. He's got two different types of panting. "Stage 1" would be just breathing pretty hard through his mouth, and "stage 2" is the same as before with his tongue hanging out slightly. He doesn't seem to understand when he needs to take a break, and sometimes we will have to put him in the bathroom by himself for a few minutes of "quiet time out" just so he can calm himself down and catch his breath. On two occasions his breathing has gotten even worse when we were playing with him with a Da Bird wand toy - he gets really hyper over those. He would be playing along just fine, and then all of a sudden stop, bend over with his head towards the floor and start heaving like he was going to cough up a hairball. He made a terrible wheezing sound like he couldn't get any air too, and he never coughed up a hairball so I think he really couldn't breathe 
 Scary stuff. We just sat beside him, talking softly and stroking him gently until he could get through it and feel better.

So obviously that last part with the wheezing isn't very good. Any advice on that? And is it normal for a young cat of his age to tire this quickly? It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to give him any real exercise, which also isn't good because of course he needs exercise to keep himself active and healthy and not chubby. Should we be taking him to see the vet for this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is still young so this is pretty normal.  However he could very well hurt himself badly so you need to recognize when to refocus him on something else or stop playing Da Bird or whatever.  I would say when he starts to exert himself, that is when you need to say "OK that's enough for now."  Is it possible he's a little overweight?  I don't know if the kitty pictured in your avatar is him but if so, he is a bit on the chunky side.  So, half an hour is normal excercise for a normal weight cat.  But, just like people, if he's a bit on the chunky side building up to that is best.  So play a little at first for a few minutes and then build up to the harder my vigorous play... Again only for a minute or two.  Once he starts panting, then let him cool down.  Distract him or just remove the toy and play.  He will over time be able to do more.  But excercise is needed and good for them. 

If you're really worried, take him to the vet for sure.  Get a diagnosis.  He could have asthma or a heart problem.  So you need to be aware if there is anything that should keep him from getting too overstimulated and overworked for too long. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Check his chest and see if there is any indentation at the base of the rib-cage, or his ribs seem 'flat'. 

I have a 9 month old boy with funnel chest (the ribs curl in) who does the same thing. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're really worried, take him to the vet for sure.  Get a diagnosis.  He could have asthma or a heart problem.  So you need to be aware if there is anything that should keep him from getting too overstimulated and overworked for too long. 
I think another vet visit is need first to rule out a health issue. 2 minutes is not very long, if he's panting after that it sounds like an issue unless he's just really unfit but I'd get a vet to check him again. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by P3 and The King  

This is Jupiter here. The vet did say he was slightly overweight, but not super-chubby.

Thank you to everyone else for your helpful comments. I think we will book him in at the vet's at the start of the week, just to rule anything out. Until then we will just "play gently" and give him a break if needed. (Today he was better while we were playing, he didn't require a break from play. However, he got excited by something all on his own afterwards, and he started running around the house which got him panting again, so we gave him a short cool down time in the bathroom once again so he didn't get into that hyper excited state.)

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jupiter is gorgeous!!!! 

Some kittens have times where they simple seem to go nuts and run around like mad fools, as you probably already know having had a cat before.  Having said that, a trip to the vet to ease your mind wouldn't be a bad idea.  My daughter had an overweight cat and when he played fetch, he would often pant from the exertion.  Just like people, if a cat is out of shape, he needs to learn his limits and not push himself to the point of complete exhaustion.  Cats need exercise, but it sounds like, in your cat's case, limits need to be set.  It could simply be by changing up the toy he uses or try not to over excite when it's play time.  A few minutes, mind you, of play should not exhaust him.  Recognizing when to stop can be challenging for many cat owners.  If there is catnip in his toy, it may overstimulate him.  Regardless, in my opinion, if you have concerns, your best bet is to check him out with the vet to see what he thinks.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I think we will book him in at the vet's at the start of the week, just to rule anything out.
What a handsome lad!

Let us know how you go.

fireoasis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The wheezing is what would be my concern.  Panting would be common in a chubby cat who is working himself hard, but the wheezing not so much so. You would indeed be wise to take him to the vet.  Perhaps take the toy with you and be prepared to show the vet the event that triggers the wheezing so she/he can see what happens.  Sometimes they can't say for sure if something is wrong till they see it.  Much like an asthma attack in a child. (not saying he has that, just using that as an example) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One explanation may be, if he was in several foster homes, we dont know what conditions he was into. Perhaps the classical bid dog cage?  Or some sort of a small room.  This could being not fit at all, like MissyMotus suggests as possible.

But to be on the safe side, do go to a good vet, and let him make a thorough examination, including a "heavy load" test like Fireoasis suggests.   It is true, they do often examine by tough tests. Saying, if it is Gods will there will ba a heart attack, better to happen at the doc, than home when running after the bus.

Good luck!