cat doesn't like wet food?

doug36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a friend who has a cat who has been brought up on dry food. 8 year old healthy female. Eats well. But poop is pretty hard. Needs more moisture. Wet cat food will do the job, but the cat won't touch it. Decent stuff. Tried two different flavors. I've never encountered a cat that doesn't just go bananas about wet food. Suggestions? Almost as if the cat doesn't even recognize it as food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Actually our cat had only eaten dry before we adopted him.  When we slowly introduced canned food he had loose stools.  We tried 5 -6 different brands and within those brands several different flavors.  We ended up trying freeze dried raw and he absolutely loves it.  I add extra water to it and he eats everything.  Stools are perfect and his coat is smooth and shiny. 

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have the same issue. Ary will eat wet food, but Cookie hates wet food. I've stared mixing in wet food with dry food and that works most of the time. I also went shopping yesterday and got some different cans. Surprisingly, Cookie gobbled down Merrick Purrfect Bistro Cowboy Cookout!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amalie hates wet food. I tried canned and raw. She's had dental work and several teeth pulled and every time they say put her on wet food for a week or two and she won't have any of it. I don't even know if she ate the freeze dried raw out of the kibble or if that was all Yue's doing.
Yue will eat canned by not raw, but she eats with Amalie so they're both on kibble.
Tommy and Stewart went fricking cold turkey from kibble to canned to commercial raw to homemade raw. They never had a disparaging word :) 

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might just be a picky cat. My cats will only eat 17 of the flavors of Friskies now. They used to eat all 59 flavors, but now they rejected 42 of the flavors! So you might have to try more than 2 flavors to find one she likes. It can be frustrating.​

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats dislike wet food.  one option is to try increasing her water intake ( fountains, filtered water, etc0