Cat doesn't jump normal, he leaps

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's the same as you're describing, but my Maine Coon kitten jumps kinda funny. When she jumps it reminds me of videos of foxes pouncing on prey. It's a sort of vertical leap/pounce thing. Also she doesn't do the stalk-pounce type sequence like most cats do when they plan to pounce on something. She doesn't crouch and try to stalk closer or walk closer to the "prey" (toy, my hand, whatever) but instead she just leaps right from where she's standing!

Here is a video I took of her jumping into a stroller, however this is a little different than her normal jump because she did this one from a run:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleypadgifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES! That sounds EXACTLY like what he does. I have noticed too with these guys (and we had 2 litters before we could trap mama and got her fixed!) they don't wiggle their butts like most kittens do when they pounce on something. They are 2 yrs old now, but even when very young they didn't do it like every other cat I've ever had in my lifetime. NEVER had cats that can distroy a room like these guys as well.... curtains are now a think of the past and earthquake putty is now a main staple! But things are things and these guys bring a lot of love to our lives so we just pick up and clean up and move on.
I will have to video some of the funny things they do around here if I can figure out my new camcorder.
We've thought all along that they had maine coon blood in them so maybe this is just one sign, besides their overwhelming size, that that is a definate possibility

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleypadgifts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMGosh... i just looked at the pic of your kitty .. it won't scroll to show the entire pic btw... it looks EXACTLY like the mama kitty from my group..also like her daughter Jessie. What does the word mean that you have noted on the pic? totally forgot how to spell it now but does it mean the extra toe? Her feet look a lot smaller then my boy's, but will have to take a pic of Jessie and compare the two.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, I resized her photo so you should be able to see the whole thing now!

Yes, she is polydactyl which means she has extra toes. Here is a photo where you can see her feet better:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/roxybleh.jpg

I need to take some new pics, she's grown quite a bit (and her tail has fluffed out a LOT) since those photos!