Cat Doesn't Drink Water

gene traylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to drink water all the time but now that he has had UT blockage, which required catheter insertion and is off dry food permanently, he isn't drinking. At least I haven't seen him drink and no evidence of peeing in litter box.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The not peeing part is very concerning. If you really think he hasn't peed anywhere, call the vet immediately.

But if he's eating all canned food, it's normal for him not to drink water. Canned food is 80% water, so he'll get plenty of moisture from his food. That's the good thing about canned food!

But he really should be peeing. If not, that's a true emergency.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Willowy mentioned cats that eat wet or raw food often don't drink much water, so that's pretty normal, but the not peeing isn't normal. He should be peeing at least twice a day. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gene traylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he is not drinking water I'm not too concerned yet, since he us getting moisture from the prescription food,  As far as not peeing he doesn't even go to the litter box so he doesn't even feel the need to urinate.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's not peeing normally... that's a concern that he may be blocked with bladder stones and it's very serious if not treated. He needs to see a vet just to be safe.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy eats canned food and we still add in 2 teaspoonful of water to the food.

But if your cat is not peeing, even on prescription food moisture, it's better to bring in to the vet ASAP before it gets worse.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he peed? Are you sure he hasn't found a place in the house to relieve himself? I'm worried about his kidneys :/.