Cat Does Weird Chewing Motion

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!

So my cat, Jesse (6 yr old male), does this weird thing with his mouth and I'm curious if anyone else's cat does it too or what it could mean. Some background: He has had horrible dental issues since I adopted him 4 years ago (mainly tooth resorption), and he has to have a dental cleaning and multiple extractions done at least once a year, sometimes more often. He has always done this thing (for years now) where he sticks his tongue out far and looks like he's chewing the air. I was finally able to get it on video here:

This always happens when he's grooming himself, maybe like once a day in the evening usually. It can even happen shortly after he's already had a dental cleaning too, so I honestly don't know if its just a weird thing he does thats not even related to his dental problems? Or maybe its related to the fact that he has less teeth? It does not seem to affect his eating or ability to groom, both of which he does fine, and he goes back to normal afterwards. I'm honestly just curious if anyones ever seen this before or what could be triggering it.

He was last seen by a vet in July who said his teeth didn't look too bad but that he would definitely need a dental in a few months (was planning on scheduling that for Jan/Feb). Will also show this video to my vet. Any ideas though?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure it is related to his dental issues. Question is whether it is from the lack of teeth and a long tongue hehe, or if there is pain or other issues in there. Without looking in his mouth it is hard to say.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure it is related to his dental issues. Question is whether it is from the lack of teeth and a long tongue hehe, or if there is pain or other issues in there. Without looking in his mouth it is hard to say.
Thanks! Yea poor boy cannot catch a break with his dental problems. :( I just found it odd that he does it even after his teeth are all cleaned up. Something is triggered by grooming, just don't know how. I thought maybe hair gets stuck or something in his throat since he doesn't have a lot of teeth left to block it, but maybe that's far fetched haha.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the irritation in his gums from teeth being removed or food getting stuck in weird places might aggravate it too. Are his dental issues just a result of bad genes or does he have an underlying autoimmune issue like FIV or something?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Didn't you mention that he does this when he is grooming himself? I have noticed Feeby will make that same motion during cleaning - it is almost like she is sort of gagging on her own hair. And, she has ALL her teeth. And, it doesn't stop her from cleaning and eating her hair again and again and again.

The only other time I have seen her do this is with certain toys (like plastic type sticks), where I think she actually gags herself. She's learned NOT to play with those anymore.

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the irritation in his gums from teeth being removed or food getting stuck in weird places might aggravate it too. Are his dental issues just a result of bad genes or does he have an underlying autoimmune issue like FIV or something?
He's negative for FIV...they think its genetic due to his issues starting at a young age (and not really improving or getting better with dental care). They've basically said he will eventually have no more teeth at some point.

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Didn't you mention that he does this when he is grooming himself? I have noticed Feeby will make that same motion during cleaning - it is almost like she is sort of gagging on her own hair. And, she has ALL her teeth. And, it doesn't stop her from cleaning and eating her hair again and again and again.

The only other time I have seen her do this is with certain toys (like plastic type sticks), where I think she actually gags herself. She's learned NOT to play with those anymore.
Yup always when he's grooming. He has also had hairball issues in the past (he's shorthair but sheds a lot). Sometimes its worse than others but I always feel so bad for him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's negative for FIV...they think its genetic due to his issues starting at a young age (and not really improving or getting better with dental care). They've basically said he will eventually have no more teeth at some point.
Cats usually do just fine with no teeth. Many still will eat dry food even.

Didn't you mention that he does this when he is grooming himself?
Come to think of it, it is similar to long haired cats who get the hair stuck to their tongues while grooming. Interesting....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup always when he's grooming. He has also had hairball issues in the past (he's shorthair but sheds a lot). Sometimes its worse than others but I always feel so bad for him.
Feeby is short haired too, but still can gag on her own hair! I do give her hairball treats (Temptations Hairball Control). Rarely, she will hack/cough like she is trying to expel a hairball, she never does. I am guessing the treats work for her.

If you prefer, you could always try what Tawny used to eat for hairball control - Vaseline! However, neither would Gracie nor will Feeby lick that stuff off my hand. Gracie did eat the flavored goop that probably had something like Vaseline in it - Feeby would not. Hence the treats for her!

P.S. I also brush her at least once-twice a week, otherwise there is hair everywhere (well, there is STILL hair everywhere, but less)!

Last edited:

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats usually do just fine with no teeth. Many still will eat dry food even.

Come to think of it, it is similar to long haired cats who get the hair stuck to their tongues while grooming. Interesting....
Hmm that is interesting...I feel like it must be something to do with his hair. Good to know about the teeth! Means less dentals I have to take him too so I'm honestly looking forward to having a toothless kitty haha

mellieanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeby is short haired too, but still can gag on her own hair! I do give her hairball treats (Temptations Hairball Control). Rarely, she will hack/cough like she is trying to expel a hairball, she never does. I am guessing the treats work for her.

If you prefer, you could always try what Tawny used to eat for hairball control - Vaseline! However, neither would Gracie nor will Feeby lick that stuff off my hand. Gracie did eat the flavored goop that probably had something like Vaseline in it - Feeby would not. Hence the treats for her!

P.S. I also brush her at least once-twice a week, otherwise there is hair everywhere (well, there is STILL hair everywhere, but less)!
Thanks for the suggestions! He had a pretty bad bout with hairballs over the summer where he stopped eating. So far brushing him daily has been whats worked most. Of course me remembering to do it is another story haha

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it kind of looks like his tongue catches one of his whiskers and pulls it into his mouth, and then he kind of spits it out, lol. He does have fine long whiskers! I don't think it means anything, just a quirk of his, I'd say.

I was expecting to see him "chewing gum", which usually means nausea. But it's not that, fortunately.