Cat Distressed Meowing

Lynzerilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I've been worried lately about my male siamese tabby mix cat (male and adult) who meows loud, short and continous meows like he is stuck on a tree, whenever he is outdoors. Sometimes he does that for really long periods of time, even at night. He's been doing this for a few weeks now. When alerted by this behaviour, i'd go check up on him, but he would be alone and wandering around just fine. If I call him, sometimes he would come to me and get in the house, other times he ignores me and continues with this meowing. Today he did that again, I called him in and he came to eat his food yet he's only eaten a little bit and started walking around the kitchen meowing like that to his own self, before going outside. This really got me worrying about him.
Can somebody explain this behaviour? And what can I do in this case? Thank you so much.
  • PS : I got this cat 6 months ago when I found him outside the house (he was an adult cat), he would come to eat with the strays and rub on me. He seemed like he was lost or abandoned so I adopted him and he quickly adjusted, he seemed to had been already domesticated as he was affectionate, obedient, and feared the strays.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is he? (I know you can't be sure, but has the vet given you an approximate age?).

I'd seriously consider keeping him as an indoor only cat if you possibly can. My only thought is dementia, which can cause this kind of behaviour and disorintation. I strongly advise that you get him a vets appointment when they reopen, and have him checked out. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, and welcome to TCS!:hithere::welcomesign:

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe Siamese cats are big talkers. I don't think you have anything to worry about. My grandparents used to have a Siamese cat and she would walk around meowing at nothing, very loudly, all the time.

Oriental's are big talkers as well. I had two Oriental's growing up and they would sometimes meow so loud that people on the phone thought a baby was crying! I don't think you have anything to worry about!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynzerilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is he? (I know you can't be sure, but has the vet given you an approximate age?).

I'd seriously consider keeping him as an indoor only cat if you possibly can. My only thought is dementia, which can cause this kind of behaviour and disorintation. I strongly advise that you get him a vets appointment when they reopen, and have him checked out. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, and welcome to TCS!:hithere::welcomesign:
The vet had said that he would be around a year old at the time, still a very young cat. Thank you so much for your reply and kindness :happycat: I'd surely consider a trip to the vet if this behaviour doesn't cease any time soon, and I really hope it's nothing serious. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynzerilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe Siamese cats are big talkers. I don't think you have anything to worry about. My grandparents used to have a Siamese cat and she would walk around meowing at nothing, very loudly, all the time.

Oriental's are big talkers as well. I had two Oriental's growing up and they would sometimes meow so loud that people on the phone thought a baby was crying! I don't think you have anything to worry about!
Thank you for your reply. I remember reading and learning that siamese cats can be very vocal, but mine hasn't always been like that, and it's only the case when he's outdoors. I thought of the possibility that it might be because of stray female cats in heat lurking around the place :dunno:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given his young age, dementia seems highly unlikely. He may be calling for other kitty friends, or you. Orientals are VERY vocal, so he could even be talking to himself (one of my Russian Blues does this - he's such a chatterbox!).