Cat Distemper (panluekopenia) Survivors: Help!!

KymaniFly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is definitely late. My cat at home has parvo he was diagnosed 3 days ago. He was never vaccinated and I honestly had no idea something that horrible actually was out there that could affect cats. I had brought a new stray kitten into my home she didn't have any symptoms I guess she was asymptomatic. A few days later Echo started to become really depressed, then stopped eating and started throwing up continuously, I took him to a 24-hour pet hospital and they gave him fluids and antibiotics to Stave off a secondary infection. The only way that they would allow him to spend the night in the hospital as if I had 50% of the hospital bill which was $4, 000 and had to be paid upfront. I absolutely could not afford that. I am a single parent, and that was an astronomical fee to me. So it became a decision between euthanasia or to take him home with anti-nausea pills and IV fluids. I wanted to give him a chance since he had started to pick up at the hospital. And at home he started to get better or so it seemed. He had stopped vomiting, still had diarrhea. He wouldn't eat or drink on his own. So I force fed him canned food, gave him water and the IV fluids. Which he kept down. I cleaned his fur and monitored his bathroom usage. I even reached out to the humane society for assistance. And they responded with they don't have the ability to work with parvo patients. Unfortunately today I was unable to get the money for more IV fluids till late at night. I did get them and I gave them to him. And he is so weak he can barely stand. His breathing is shallow and he is lying here in what seems like he is just waiting to die. I tried so hard and I really thought we could beat this. But now I feel defeated and heartbroken. And what's more I owe the hospital a $600 vet bill. I just can't help but feel a little frustrated that they can turn a animal away that is in need of medical attention because they charge astronomical fees that are impossible to pay unless you have a six figure income. And the humane society will turn an animal away in dire need because they don't deal with certain illnesses. And yet they are the only clinic close to being affordable. I am just devastated and angry with the whole system.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome, I am sorry it is under these circumstances though...
Any cat who gets parvo/panleukopenia is very hard to pull through this, but for a kitten, well it's pretty much impossible. It is extremely contagious, a strong virus that lives on and on. Very hearty and can survive most cleaning products too. Hides in a speck of litter in the corner of the floor and waits. As long as 18 months.
Even staying at the vet with 24 hr monitoring and fluids is no guarantee at all. They are just too small with immature immune systems and reserves.

If he is just laying there on his side he is shutting down and going to die. If you can hold him and try to comfort as it happens, you will give him love and security in his final moments of life.

Very sorry. It's an ugly awful virus.
The FVRCP vaccine is needed for all kittens. It's the "P" for Panleukopenia that gives protection from this virus.

Remember now, no cats or kittens allowed who are not fully vaccinated to your home for at least 18 months.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your heartache, and heartache it is......if you can administer fluids and force feed, that is basically what the vet would do, and then all you can do is pray. I have had cats near death and recover, some die. Once they do recover, like human who would contract all those horrible diseases without vaccinations, they will never get it again. You have done all you can, and that is more than most, We are here you, please keep in touch.....I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, pray that God heals that sweet boy.