Cat Discipline

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I recently adopted (2) cats from SPCA, a boy and a girl. Thought I would get two so they could play together. They do play together and generally get along well...but they are not letting me sleep in and are destroying my new house!  I am having to raise the blinds daily and installed cord cleats to tie up the cords because my girl kitty absolutely loves those cords. She is constantly trying to reach them and bite them and take them and run. My bedroom and bathroom have honeycomb shades for room darkening and I am afraid they are going to rip them down. So I have been using squirt bottle consistently when they try to get into these blinds. I've read here that, that isn't the best method. My question is, then what do I do about this? These are not cheap blinds and if they destroy them, then what??

I am about ready to let them outside, but I know that's not the best answer, especially here in Nevada, we have coyotes and hawks. I am seriously considering building a pet enclosure with a tunnel from the house for them.

My last cat died last summer and she was 19 yrs old. She always could go in and out as she wanted and never really wandered. She stayed in the yard. I've never had cats they only stayed indoors, so not sure how this is gonna work for me. I've always love cats and since my last kitty was easy maintenance, she ate kibbles only and I could leave for the weekend with no problem. These new cats want wet food twice a day! Not sure how I am gonna be able to leave town now. Not as low maintenance as I was expecting.

I am very frustrated with them right now. I need to find a balance with them and their behavior.  Thanks for reading.

Chewey

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Install a baby gate in the window in front of the blinds?
Put double sided tape on the window sill and the gate to keep them off of it?
Keep the cord tied up....

Are they kittens?

I don't see how them "wanting" wet food twice a day is bad behavior...it's good for them. Anyhow, there are timed feeders that work with wet food, so you could try that.
You could (and should) have someone either come in to feed/scoop and check the cats if you go out of town. Or, have them boarded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A baby gate might work, I will look into that. They girl kitty is 16 months old and boy is 1 yr now.
I have the one cord tied up, the one that raises the blinds, but the other cord that opens and closes them, still hangs just not has long, I read to tied it up to, just to how to do this...use cord cleats too?

By having to feed them wet food morning and night, someone as to be there. It ties me down more than I was expecting which is why I didn't get a dog (I pondered that too). I plan on going to the lake on weekends this summer, but not sure now..will need a pet sitter to come in twice a day.

And they have lots of toys and I already had a nice cat tower, and I got them a really big one in addition and of course it's near the window.

Having to feed them wet food time a day may see, normal, but I've never had to do that for my cats, but...they also went outside. I've seen the automatic pet feeder for dry food, but not for wet food. Can you give me a name or link?

Thank you so much for your input.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could just tie a loop in the cord that still hangs, to make it short enough they can't reach. Or....tuck it into the blinds up high so they can't get to it.

I'm not sure of a link to the auto feeder. I've seen it posted several times on the forum though, so a search for it should find something. Hopefully someone who has used one will reply. :-)

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your two new furbabies they won't be alone 
 you're starting from scratch all over again it takes time a year from now you will look back and treasure these days of settling in with them.  They're Young. You've come to the right site Welcome
    Pet enclosure sounds Wonderful very Lucky kitties

Last edited:

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that nice Welcome Greeting! I really appreciate it. These little kiddos are making me crazy! LOL   I hope I will survive until they settle down.  They are really cute and great company, but very busy getting into things. Behind the TV and entertainment center, behind the washer, getting locked in the pantry, locking themselves in the laundry room and the guest bathroom. They have shredded the guest towels in that bathroom and the shower curtain.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that nice Welcome Greeting! I really appreciate it. These little kiddos are making me crazy! LOL   I hope I will survive until they settle down.  They are really cute and great company, but very busy getting into things. Behind the TV and entertainment center, behind the washer, getting locked in the pantry, locking themselves in the laundry room and the guest bathroom. They have shredded the guest towels in that bathroom and the shower curtain.
They sound like they are having a blast....maybe at your expense....but a blast non-the-less. My cat locked himself in my cabinets during the first few days home. They don't have handles, but he used his foot to open it....then couldn't figure out how to get out! All he had to do was bump his head against it and he would have known! LOL silly cat. I came home to meowing and couldn't find him....talk about panicking! Then....I promptly went out and got child proofing hardware. It's been a year and that silly cat still walks around checking each cabinet every night, just in case I forgot to latch one I guess. :-)

Last edited:

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's hysterical! Smart cat...I think. LOL. So I bought the plans for the cat enclosure, I have a handyman who can build it for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new babies! How much and how are you playing with them?

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I play with them once or twice a day. I work full time. I adopted two thinking they would keep each other company when I'm not there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they need more vigorous play a few times a day. I would start building it in before or after work. Wand toys and lasers (as long as a treat is given after) are favorites. They should play until they pant.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like they need more vigorous play a few times a day. I would start building it in before or after work. Wand toys and lasers (as long as a treat is given after) are favorites. They should play until they pant.
They do sound high energy! But they are young and I'm sure that's am adjustment after losing a laid back adult cat!

I agree about planning some good interactive play sessions. Two a day at least. The Cat Dancer, Da Bird, a laser pointer and catnip bubbles have been the biggest hits in our house.

I would love to see pictures of your cat enclosure when its done!

chewey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I've attached photos of them here. I've put up curtains on the windows with blinds and pulled up the blinds, we will see how that works out. And on the bathroom window with the black out shades I put up a baby gate. Not sure it will help as they still try to paw at it. I've had to boot them out of my room at night to get enough sleep. The Cat enclosures is in progress, I am having it built for me. I sure hope all of this works. I am at my witts ends with these guys, they are like toddlers. The boy kitty, (the larger one) sure looks a lot like a Savannah Cat but instead of spots, he has stripes.  the girl kitty, is petite and a girly girl. She loves to watch me get ready in the bathroom. She is the snuggler, the boy cat only wants loves when he is sleepy.  Thank you all of your input. Wish me luck! I need it!

Chewey