Cat digs litter excessively right before pooping

Fizzle52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My 1.5 year old kitty is about 3 weeks post PU surgery and so he's been confined in a large padded crate until he heals completely. He is litter trained as he used to live in an apartment, but ever since I brought him home 2 months ago, he's been loving the garden and going to do his business there. When he was peeing and pooping in the garden, I did notice that he would often dig more aggressively and dig a deeper hole just before a poop. Now that he's recovering, he's using a litter box, but he has a crazy habit of digging out half the contents of the box and scratching and kicking before finally squatting doing a poop. He's using a covered litter box with the lid taken off (as I wanted him to feel less constrained), and the litter just flies all over the place and I have to keep going into his crate and sweeping it up. Does anyone else's cat do this, and have any suggestions for what kind of box I should get to minimise the mess?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine does exactly the same. I bought a storage box and cut out a square for easy access. It hasn't totally solved the problem but only a little litter escapes now.

16260104316575378804051080448184.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what I was going to suggest. Some cats just...dig. A LOT. A WHOLE LOT. Hek isn't horrible about it, but she does her share of scattering litter around.