Cat digging at litter too much

antimus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 indoor cats, and a large litter tray with Catsan clumping litter. But no matter if it's fresh litter or a few days old, one (or two?) of the cats will do a wee, bury it, then dig where they buried and shred the clumped litter into tiny bits that makes it impossible to clean out, hence pointless using clumping litter
I've tried cleaning the tray, corner, room, etc with litter tray cleaner to get rid of any odours, still does no good.

I even bought a new enclosed litter tray, they still do it. I'll hear one go to the litter tray, dig a bit, do it's business, cover it, stop, dig more and more and more and more, and I end up with my head in my hands at the thought of sieving out the cat litter for the second time that day.

help?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't think there's a solution.

You could try switching litters to a different texture, depth, or even try a automated box that shifts it out for you. But in the end a digger is digger and some cats just enjoy being thorough.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats do that too. But I have no intention of disturbing them while they're in the litter box! That's the last place you want them to fear! This is just something I roll my eyes about, but do nothing (except vacuum a lot)!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy does that too - but you are lucky yours buries. Mine sometimes just makes a mess and misses burying completely. I just have to clean up more so his prissy sister in the litter box next to it won't be disturbed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that's a problem we all encounter using clumping litter. I just deal with it and don't worry about it. We also scoop at least twice a day and sometimes more if need be. You might consider adding additional boxes. Ideally, you should have 1 more box than you have cats.