Cat died, other cat acting crazy with new cat. _ SOS

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My most favorite cat I lost a little over two yrs ago and the cat I got about 6 weeks later just did something tonite that Sheba used to do-jumped and scratched in the kichen sink-so I think you are right in that a new cat can have some traits of a past pet even though they have never physically met.
Good luck in getting the cats to bond to each other-they will it will just take a bit of time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread now, I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. I also wanted to mention that even if you didn't introduce your cat the right way, if yours was loving and purring on you and just hissing in between, that is great. If you said they flew at each other and fought and bloodshed and everything, I would be worried, but just hissing is nothing. My cats have been together for 3 years and still hiss and growl at each other occationally. Although there are 7 of them, I contsantly have cats coming and going as I rescue them. I don't even bother properly introducing anymore. There will always be hissing and growling.

I still highly recommend you do do it properly, but remember that hissing and growling, and even batting at each other and tumbling on the floor or all normal. Cats will also have to determine who is alpha. As long as there is no bloodshed, it's fine! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolasdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have to let you guys know. things are getting better. they "talk" to each other through the door. its so beautiful to see my little man so mobile again. i was so scared when the doctor told us he could die of what is essentially a broken heart. if that is to happen, i want to know I tried everything for him.

as for the new cat, well, i forgot about kittens. she spends most of the day at the desk with me, cashing the words i type, shes doin it now. lol. she is crazy, makes me smile, helps me to celebrate the life of lola.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolasdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My most favorite cat I lost a little over two yrs ago and the cat I got about 6 weeks later just did something tonite that Sheba used to do-jumped and scratched in the kichen sink-so I think you are right in that a new cat can have some traits of a past pet even though they have never physically met.
Good luck in getting the cats to bond to each other-they will it will just take a bit of time.
I love those kinds of moments. No matter what religion you are, what you believe in, those moments are the face of God, life whatever. Those moments, I think, are what life is all about.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the loss of your Lola.

It is wonderful that you saved a kitty and brought her home. No matter the challenge at home with your new little one, please remember how prescious it is to rescue and love a thrown away pet. Lola would be very proud of you.

=====================================================

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LolasDad

i have to let you guys know. things are getting better. they "talk" to each other through the door. its so beautiful to see my little man so mobile again. i was so scared when the doctor told us he could die of what is essentially a broken heart. if that is to happen, i want to know I tried everything for him.

as for the new cat, well, i forgot about kittens. she spends most of the day at the desk with me, cashing the words i type, shes doin it now. lol. she is crazy, makes me smile, helps me to celebrate the life of lola.
Sounds as though Apple is helping mend more than 1 broken heart

My kitty hissed and growled at our newer cat Lily, who was kept in a room for 3 days with supervised introductions every day, then by the 4th day they were fine with each other. When we got our current foster, the 2 cats hissed and growled for a week or so at her, but now they've been great friends since.

As was mentioned earlier - hissing and growling - Ari is just telling Apple who's boss