Cat didn't poop for 5 days

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit of a good news story today as you don't see enough of them! And I'm hoping this could help reassure others in similar situations.

Our 2-year-old Persian had diarrhea on Sunday, the worst diarrhea he'd ever had (every hour he'd be pooping liquid - we think it was from a sudden change in diet). Once it passed, we did all we could to rehydrate him, but 1 day passed without pooping, 2 days passed, then 3 days... on the third day we called the vet and he advised adding some fiber and extra water to his diet. We did this, another day passed without any poop. Day 4 I was getting very worried, so we called the vet and he said to add a little olive oil to his food to help the stool pass easier, alongside the fiber and water. He then said if there was still no poop by day 5 we should bring him in for an enema! By this point I was very worried, and Google was of course making that worry 10 times worse.

Day 5... I woke up to no poop in his tray, so I start preparing his carrier to take him in. I put my shoes and coat on, then decided to give it one last try by putting him in his litter tray. And would you believe it, he fianlly did a HUGE poop. There I am with my coat on and carrier in hand ready to go to the vets, in disbelief he'd finally pooped after five long days. I called the vet and he said it was very likely due to dehydration from the diarrhea and that it just took a few days for his body to rehydrate and "fill back up."

I guess the moral of the story is - take every precaution with your cat and ALWAYS get the vet's advice, but don't read the horror stories that 5 days without pooping is a death sentence!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! Thank you SO much for a good ending! (no pun intended!)
Being a nurse, I know that after about with diarrhea it may take several days to form feces again. I would say three to 4 days is normal. I am so glad your boy didn't have to endure a trip to the vet and all that stress.
I have only had to deal with severe constipation one time in an elderly cat. We waited a week and then administered 1/4 tsp of Miralax mixed in a beaten egg yolk. it worked very well. For ongoing constipation, it can be given twice daily until results are had. Always make your vet aware of giving this so they can have it on file and OK it. Sometimes if enough food and water are not taken in, this will result in a period of no pooping for a while too. A cat that eats very little will poop very little too. so keep that in mind. I always start with encouraging more water, even setting several small bowls around for them to get curious and check out. They almost always drink once they go to the bowl.
I am glad your boy has gone now, one less worry!