CAT DIARRHOEA AGAIN!!!!

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, ive a 4month old female cat phoebe , she had diarrhoea issues couple weeks back with vomiting,fever and weight loss. We had to give her IV and fluids for 4 days in hospital as she stopped eating but she eventually got better. Now again she has started having liquid poop and has blood in it from past few days ( at last , very little ). She is active, eating well, drinking well and sleeping well for now. Her xrays and ultrasounds was done very recently and blood test around 20 days back. Everything was normal. What could it be now? I give her wiskas dry food ( for kittens ) with water in it . I was giving her wiskas wet food for kittens before she got sick couple week back. Can it be food? Or maybe roomsprays? Or some underlying condition. I’mnot sure what to do. I’ve exhausted a lot of money past few weeks on her health and I recently adopted her from street haha so its taking a lot of toll. Any help appreciated and if this is something your kitty went through. ( attached picture of poop i took few days back when she had blood , it was solid and semi solid back then but now its mainly only semi solid-liquid , the blood also stopped for 2 days and came back )

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you take the poop to the vet? I'm going to guess she needs antibiotics for infection due to the colour. The vet you already saw should test her poo without another exam fee.

I would call Whiskas and tell them about the issue and throw that food away. It could be contaminated.

I will suggest some Purina kitten food if you can do some wet it will be gentle on her tummy for a few days and easier to digest. Add a bit of extra water to it to keep her hydrated. Fancy feast also does a kitten pack for $6 to $10 Canadian which has I think 10 cans.

I always suggest long term that you feed at least 1 can of wet food per day with extra water added. Even if you are doing dry food, even one can can lower risk of long term health issues.

Please also ensure you are washing dry and wet food bowls at least once per day to reduce the risk of food contamination. you might already do this 🐱

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try to find a higher quality kitten food for her. She may be allergic or intolerant to one of the ingredients in your current food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So now if i want to change, do i slowly change?? Like take a week to substitute new food or can do little quickly? She has also got her urine test, poop test , there’s no bacteria. Everything was normal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like take a week to substitute new food
Possibly this long - try a small amount of the new food either on a separate plate or on the same plate as the old food, then a larger amount while decreasing the amount of old food by the amount of the new food, then if things are going ok try half new food and half old food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For wet food I've always changed it right away and given a little bit of plain cooked pumpkin or sweet potato.

Dry food you need to slowly change over time.

Do you know what she was eating at the vet? This started again when you came home and she was on that food again, I'm inclined to think it's the food and she should stop eating it straight away.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She wasn’t eating anything at vet. I used to bring her home and feed her. I’ll go buy different wet food today. Also she has been excessively meowing today. Didn’t let me sleep and was biting me whole night so probably she in heat too ( this is another issue ) .

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One cause for meowing is if she's in pain. Diaheria will make her dehydrated. So only give her wet food. Do you live in the US?
Try a different brand

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She wasn’t eating anything at vet. I used to bring her home and feed her. I’ll go buy different wet food today. Also she has been excessively meowing today. Didn’t let me sleep and was biting me whole night so probably she in heat too ( this is another issue ) .
So she is not spayed?
Getting that done may also help with the blood in her stool. Has she been checked for parasites?

Last edited:

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, so she has been checked for worms in stool , she isnt spayed ( will get it done within a month ) and i changed the food to purina wet food ( 1 pouch a time, 3 times a day) and her pooped improved very well. Its now brownish in color and solid ( little semi solid) I’m in guessing it was whiskas that was the problem. The blood is still there a little, comes once a day or in two days!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, so she has been checked for worms in stool , she isnt spayed ( will get it done within a month ) and i changed the food to purina wet food ( 1 pouch a time, 3 times a day) and her pooped improved very well. Its now brownish in color and solid ( little semi solid) I’m in guessing it was whiskas that was the problem. The blood is still there a little, comes once a day or in two days!!
That's wonderful!
If the blood happens again, If you can get one of those poos off to the vet (shouldn't have to take her in for it), to check again for disease it would be best because of the blood.

You tested before she had infected food again. So she might have something that needs antibiotics.

Please also report this to Whiskas. Recalls happen because people report illness. Not usually because the company finds it without customer help.
Contact Us