Cat diarrhea

Qbao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My cat Qbao is 2 years old and has had some soft poop on and off for the past 2 weeks and now she's having a smelly diarrhea. We are hoping to get a stool sample for the vet on Monday. But we replace homemade food with can food about a week ago, since we were not sure if that's the cause of her soft poop.

The cause her diarrhea is probably the half can of tiki cat ahi tuna with prawns. I gave it to her the night before and she ate it all (she don't usually eat any seafood but I do give her some shrimp in her homemade food). And tried to give her the rest of the can next morning and she refused to eat it and had a smelly diarrhea. I gave her another chicken can with little bit of S boulardii. But she still have another diarrhea later that day before her dinner. And another one this morning. The good thing is that she's still acting and eating normal and running around the house as usual.

Now I'm not sure if I should continue give her S boulardii? And I know she probably have stomach cramps too, cause she will start meowing loud every time before she have diarrhea. My poor baby 😭 I just want to see what I can do to make her feel better before the vet open on Monday. Thank you in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The change in diet could have caused the diarrhea, or the possibility that your cat is sensitive to the ingredients in the Tiki Cat. This could also be coincidental to something else which is going on which is not entirely related to diet. The meowing before she uses the litter box shows distress of some kind unless this is something that she did before. If you think that the S. boulardii is related to the discomfort, stop using it. However, it may be that the underlying cause of the diarrhea is not something that the probiotic can handle on its own if there is another condition or food allergy at play. Your cat does not seem to be in an emergency state, but I would definitely call the vet on Monday and make a point of describing the crying when she uses the litter box to see if you can get an appointment.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Were you feeding raw or cooked food before she got the diarrhea? It's possible that some of what you were feeding was tainted and that was the cause of the diarrhea, and then the switch to canned made it slightly worse because her system wasn't used to that type of food. The S. Boulardi normally helps with diarrhea, but I supposed it really depends on what has caused it. If it's some sort of parasite from the food, iit might not help, although it DOES help with C. Diff, which is sometimes caused from a bacteria in raw or undercooked meats.

hopefully your Vet will be able to get to the root of the issue with a fecal test on Monday.