Cat diarrhea, what food should I give instead?

chuchu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again! One of my cats, Kimchi, has diarrhea again ;;
here's previous diarrhea experience that led to him being severely lethargic
Cat inquiry: Is my cat ok?
I've been giving him whiskas tuna dry food with whiskas tuna wet food mixed in since he was a kitten because he likes it a ton and there were no problems before. He started getting diarrhea when I changed his dry food of 1yr old and above
1648233925469.png
to 1-12 months old
1648233980596.png
because he was less than a year old. I changed it back to the 1 yr old and above whiskas dry food after that but the diarrhea's still there.

I and my family suspect that the cause is either the house is dirty from the dust being blown in (i do sweep the room they stay in a lot, regularly), the food (maybe he's allergic? but nothing bad happened when he ate it while he was a kitten), or he didn't chew it properly (he doesn't eat fast but we saw his vomit before and some of the dry food weren't chewed).

I'm planning on changing his diet to cat & co, maybe that'll be better? I can't constantly buy royal canin gastro intestinal because of how expensive it is :""(
would love to get some advice!

some things I was thinking of doing to help lessen his diarrhea is
- buy a roomba to constantly clean the house from dust, hair, and fur
- buy a different food brand
- buy the canin gastro intestinal dry food again

sorry for my bad grammar ;; if the explanation's still confusing, I'll try my best to clarify again aa sorry

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna is a high allergin and very addicting to cats. Slowly mix in old and new food. It can take a week.when my cat turned one I had to start feeding her 4x a day small amounts scheduled meals

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing with allergies is that they can develop at any point in your life (as well as the cat's). For example, you could be eating strawberries your entire life and then suddenly bam! You're 35 years old and your body decided to give you hell for eating strawberries and therefore you cannot eat them anymore.

I would definitely do a food trial/elimination diet to see if it is indeed allergies that are causing this. If you can, I would also check for any gastrointestinal illnesses or disorders, or food/nutrient autoimmune diseases.

Definitely check in with your vet for gastrointestinal food, but it is a good option to try and help him out. At least until you sort what is causing this with the veterinarian. And if you can, try switching to or at least increasing your cat's intake of wet food, as dry food isn't all that good for them.

Cats are primary obligate carnivores, and also need a lot of fluid intake. The only reason they drink water when eating dry food is because dry food is making them drink it, as dry food is very.. well dry. Imagine the only reason you're getting your water intake in a day is because you're only eating salt. Wet food gives them hydration they need, alongside all the nutrients in the food they eat as well. But regardless if you are feeding him only dry, or only wet, or combination of both- always have fresh water available! Cat water fountains are also a good source of making the cat drink water, as well as commercial cat drinks. You can also make your own by cooking unsalted/unspiced etc chicken+bones, and then giving him the chicken broth, or tuna water (which is tuna oil from a can diluted with water).

If he is having a lot of diarrhea, for now I would just switch him to 100% wet food because he is probably dehydrated and on top of needing food, needs fluid as well.

Good luck <3

JanFord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is going through this and after many trips to the vet and many prescriptions, I have narrowed it down to the wet food. I'm not sure which ingredient is causing it, but I'm done making her suffer while I figure it out. I eliminated it all together and what a difference. Since moisture is important to cats, I just set her dry food with warm water and thankfully she eats it up.