cat diarrhea + vomiting - should i not feed him tonight?

a92498

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, first-time poster there
He's 100% indoors and I talk him out for walks daily if the weather permits it. Although yesterday he did sneak out, and my mother and I spent an hour looking for him. It was SUPER hot so as soon as we found him, we got him inside with water and turned on our ACs so he could cool. He was fine the entire day.

Unfortunately, a rollercoaster of issues started today.

His poo was a little soft this morning, the end of it a little watery but usually when this happens, it sorts itself out and his poo goes back to normal so I left to work not thinking too much about it.

My mom fed him his second meal while i was at work and it's something she does usually.

Got home around 3pm and found a mess of diarrhea in his litterbox. When he DOES get diarrhea it's usually a one-time thing too.

I'm a little anxious at this point but I'm always anxious about his health and tell myself to calm down and wait it out.

At 5:30pm, he gets another bout of diarrhea, not as explosive as the first one but still. Vet closed at 5pm, so at this point I decide to wait it out until tomorrow morning and then call the vet if I see things are not getting better.

The weather cools down significantly by 6pm so I took him out for his daily walk and he vomited. It looked like his wet food. Sometime later he starts digging into a pile of dirt and has diarrhea again. The last two times, it's been brown. This time it's yellow and very watery. I'm getting even more worried by then.

I brought him inside and gave him a fresh bowl of water that he drank a lot of. I had to go out into the yard and help with something so before I left I refilled the bowl since he drank so much it was low. when he came back he was vomiting up the water T _ T. This was around 7pm.

Since then he's vomited up clear liquid (more water?) and had another bout of diarrhea (still yellow but it was a small puddle) and I don't know how to proceed until tomorrow morning. I usually give him some dry food at 8pm after playtime (which is when i also put him to bed) but I don't know if I should tonight. In case he vomits.

If it matters I usually add some water to his dry food and to his wet food serving that he gets for breakfast.

I will be calling the vet tomorrow as soon as they open but if anyone has had experience with something similar I would really appreciate some input T _ T thank you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an emergency clinic you can call for suggestions. Diaheria can make him dehydrated so since he's gone so much only wet. What proteins has he had? He drank so much from being dehydrated. When was his last meal?only feed small portions. Cooked chicken. If you can,feed him some wet,not dry for moisture. Drinking so much water when he's dehydrated will make him throw up

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second some plain, boiled chicken. We had a cat who had bad, constant diarrhea and it helped bung him up quick. It isn't a long term solution in any way but can help until you can get him to see the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a92498

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there an emergency clinic you can call for suggestions. Diaheria can make him dehydrated so since he's gone so much only wet. What proteins has he had? He drank so much from being dehydrated. When was his last meal?only feed small portions. Cooked chicken. If you can,feed him some wet,not dry for moisture. Drinking so much water when he's dehydrated will make him throw up
His last meal was around 5pm. I've called 2 emergency veterinary hospitals and both are at capacity. The third one is an hour away. Unfortunately, the last lady on the phone told me she couldn't give me medical advice over the phone. I read that I should wait around two hours before attempting to feed him/or give him water ?
He gets a can of wet food for breakfast and then servings of dry kibble throughout the day. i don't have any plain chicken around so I'm wondering if around 10pm if I can give him less than a serving of wet food with dash of water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a92498

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is he doing today?
he's been doing okay! I caved and gave him a smidge of wet food with some water and gave him increments of fresh water every 20-30 minutes last night so he didn't drink too much all at once. He ate his breakfast in 3 servings over the span of 3 hours and had some dry food about 3 hours ago and so far he's been keeping everything down.

His regular vet is closed Sundays so I called another in town as soon as they opened and they said as long as he's showing improvement today then he should recover.