Cat Diarreah But No Other Symptoms... For Nearly A Week?? Any Suggestions?

cowardlylion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Any help would be appreciated.
My 5 year old cat Dexy has had offensive smelling diarreah since last Wednesday (5 days). We took him to the vet on Sat and he was given a supplement medication to put in his food which I can't remember the name of. It doesn't seem to be helping. The vet said to bring him back if there was no change in 4days... so far no change apart from the consistency of the stools is slightly thicker.
He is otherwise completely fine; eating, drinking, playing, cuddly (with his poo pyjamas) and chasing his brother around the house, his brother is completely fine.

He is mainly eating bland food like chicken and rice but some biscuits. He is mostly an inside cat but has been fluffing around the garden in the nicer weather. I have looked up all the cat stuff that might be causing it and nothing seems to fit? I'm just hoping you guys might know something that might help?

The rubbish thing is that my wife and I are going away on holiday on Saturday and they are staying with my mom atm so I'm a bit worried about leaving him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dexie may have a chicken sensitivity. Since becoming a member here I've learned just how common that is. Or another food sensitivity.

Now, I'm just guessing, but from your phrase "rubbish thing" I'm thinking that you are possibly in the UK? And if that is so, would the "biscuit" be what we would call "kibbles," or "dry food"? Just want to make sure I'm getting the full picture. You can add a small amount of canned pumpkin to his food to help firm up his stool, but he will need to be rechecked. And make sure to tell his vet that he going out in the garden. There are LOTS of plants that can cause reactions in cats.

I'm including a link to an article that actually sounds rather dire, but it is a good guide to what plants might be causing an issue for your cat if he is nibbling at them.

Poisonous Plants for Cats | petMD

If any of them are in your garden, then you need to consider either keeping him in, or choosing different plants. And again, a link.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

Of course, the issue may have nothing whatsoever to do with plants, but forewarned is forearmed!

Keep me posted on how he is doing, if you would be so kind. I fret about our kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cowardlylion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
We are really good with the plants... its all kitteh friendly.
We are UK based yup. I have booked him in with the vet for Thursday and am doing a stool sample for him.
If it's the chicken thing it all seems a bit sudden. I will let you know but as of yet completely fine in himself just pooping up a storm:-(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are any number of parasites and other such things that could cause it as well, but I've learned to make sure of the in-your-face stuff first! May just be a heavy load of worms. That can do it as well.