Cat diagnosed with UTI. How long before litter bsx habits are back to normal?

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a 5 year old female cat, Leia. I noticed her urinating in the bathtub. I observed her for several hours and decided a vet appointment was in order. We went Tuesday and she was diagnosed with a UTI. Vet flushed her bladder, gave her an antibiotic injection (Convenia), anti inflammatory injection (Metacam) and sent me home with 2 additional doses of inflammation medicine. I can tell she is feeling better but she still continues to pee both in the box and outside of the box and the amount of pee varies. I have not seen blood in her pee in the last 24 hours (the only plus to her still going outside of the box is I can monitor color and amount of pee 🥴). She's also being stubborn about drinking water. In your experience, how long before she starts going back to the box consistently? I'm trying to put puppy pads around the areas she's targeting. It was suggested I isolate her in one room with a box but I'm hoping to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance.
20210427_141521.jpg

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the cat urine smell might want to try Angry Orange.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have to house break her again the same way you would a kitten if she has developed aversion (litter =pain) it does take a few days for the meds to kick in.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm. I would have hoped to see her litter box habits back to normal by now. Lily had a UTI in November and again at the beginning of April; Iris had one in late January (they’re 16). In both cases, they were peeing normally within 48 hours. Did the vet send you home with pain meds? In all three cases, they sent the girls home with pain meds which I gave them anywhere from two to four days depending on how they were acting. UTIs are painful, and Leia may still be uncomfortable even though she’s acting better overall. If she’s still going outside the box tomorrow morning, I’d check in with your vet. Since tomorrow is Friday, you might call in the morning anyway.

Leia is so pretty!:petcat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did the vet mention anything about crystal or stone sediment in her urinalysis? Given that he flushed her bladder he likely would have been able to tell if there was sediment in her urine. Also, did the vet do a urine culture to help identify the best antibiotic to clear the infection? IMO, Covenia is a 'default' antibiotic that may or may not entirely clear the infection. What is the duration of the injection she received? If the vet said it will keep antibiotics in her system for, let's say, 10 days, then usually the most significant changes are seen within the halfway mark of the duration of the antibiotics. It is entirely possible that she will need more than one dose, or a different type of antibiotic to eradicate the infection. She should also be rechecked with a urinalysis when ever the vet says the antibiotic should have completed its course in her system.

There are just too many variables to specifically say when she might stop going outside the litter box. The anti-inflammatory suggests to me that the vet suspects she might have a form of cystitis as inflammation does not always accompany a UTI. That, or they are just being overly cautious. They may also be thinking inflammation because of the blood.

Get her to drink more water. Buy a water fountain, get some flavor enhancements that can be added to water, even mix a bit of 'juice' from canned tuna - whatever it takes for her to drink more water. Multiple bowls of water around the house that are cleaned and replaced daily. Bottled water instead of tap might work. The more water the better as that flushes out the urinary tract and helps to reduce the formation of crystals/stones as well as help clear out bacteria. If she is on a dry food diet, either see if you can get her to eat some dry food moistened with water, or start introducing her to some canned food.

Cleaning with enzymatic cleansers, such as one suggested above, to ensure you remove the urine scent from where ever she has peed will help as she won't consider those places as 'invitations' to go there again and again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might have to house break her again the same way you would a kitten if she has developed aversion (litter =pain) it does take a few days for the meds to kick in.
I have never had to house break a kitten. That will be interesting. All 4 of mine were already box trained. Hoping it'll just take a while. Thank you ❤

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. I would have hoped to see her litter box habits back to normal by now. Lily had a UTI in November and again at the beginning of April; Iris had one in late January (they’re 16). In both cases, they were peeing normally within 48 hours. Did the vet send you home with pain meds? In all three cases, they sent the girls home with pain meds which I gave them anywhere from two to four days depending on how they were acting. UTIs are painful, and Leia may still be uncomfortable even though she’s acting better overall. If she’s still going outside the box tomorrow morning, I’d check in with your vet. Since tomorrow is Friday, you might call in the morning anyway.

Leia is so pretty!:petcat:
No pain meds and she is so wild, I don't think I could give them to her. That's why I asked for the injection. I've had a UTI and I unfortunately wasn't feeling great at 48 hours lol. I've been in contact with my vet. They'll call to follow up tomorrow. Thank you. ❤

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Did the vet mention anything about crystal or stone sediment in her urinalysis? Given that he flushed her bladder he likely would have been able to tell if there was sediment in her urine. Also, did the vet do a urine culture to help identify the best antibiotic to clear the infection? IMO, Covenia is a 'default' antibiotic that may or may not entirely clear the infection. What is the duration of the injection she received? If the vet said it will keep antibiotics in her system for, let's say, 10 days, then usually the most significant changes are seen within the halfway mark of the duration of the antibiotics. It is entirely possible that she will need more than one dose, or a different type of antibiotic to eradicate the infection. She should also be rechecked with a urinalysis when ever the vet says the antibiotic should have completed its course in her system.

There are just too many variables to specifically say when she might stop going outside the litter box. The anti-inflammatory suggests to me that the vet suspects she might have a form of cystitis as inflammation does not always accompany a UTI. That, or they are just being overly cautious. They may also be thinking inflammation because of the blood.

Get her to drink more water. Buy a water fountain, get some flavor enhancements that can be added to water, even mix a bit of 'juice' from canned tuna - whatever it takes for her to drink more water. Multiple bowls of water around the house that are cleaned and replaced daily. Bottled water instead of tap might work. The more water the better as that flushes out the urinary tract and helps to reduce the formation of crystals/stones as well as help clear out bacteria. If she is on a dry food diet, either see if you can get her to eat some dry food moistened with water, or start introducing her to some canned food.

Cleaning with enzymatic cleansers, such as one suggested above, to ensure you remove the urine scent from where ever she has peed will help as she won't consider those places as 'invitations' to go there again and again.
No.. She didn't mention it but I was so relieved to not hear the word crystals, I didn't think to ask. The antibiotic is .32, so two weeks (just confirmed with the vet). I don't think she was able to get a urine sample. Leia is really high strung and has to be sedated to be seen or else, she becomes wild and aggressive which is the total opposite of her personality while home. So we are usually working with a short amount of time. I think for that reason, she's normally overly cautious with her as she is aware of how stressful the vet is to her so wants to avoid a repeat visit in a short amount of time. They have a fountain and I have a regular bowl out. She loves to drink out of the tap so I got them a new fountain that has a spout like a sink but she's still revolting and not drinking. I've been adding water to her soft food as a way to ensure she drinks water. I'm putting the old fountain in the sunroom (her favorite room). As I was replying, she jumped up on the sink wanting water so that made me happy! I think I probably need to give her more time. I may also buy a new box on hopes she won't associate it with pain. I'm using the Natures Miracle stain and odor remover.... Does that work as well as the above suggestion?

Thanks for all of your help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea without a urinalysis how a UTI or crystals can be confirmed/identified. But, more over, I am confused - the vet could flush out her bladder, but not be able to collect urine because of Leia being high strung and hard to deal with? How does one flush out a bladder with no issue on a cat, but cannot collect urine? I think they must have collected urine and at least done a urinalysis. Find out, and then ask to look at the test results, and after that ask your vet to explain what those results mean to them. It is truly an eye opener to review the actual results, then learn what they are, and talk to your vet about what they mean.

As far as the cleaners - everyone has their own opinion about what works and doesn't work. I hate Nature's Miracle, and despite literally soaking carpet that took days to dry, it never did a thing to remove urine smells. If I could still smell it, most certainly could my cat. If you can't smell urine after you use it, you are 'ahead in the game' compared to me. But, for the most part, I really don't think that is your primary issue.

I am speaking from a lot of experience with UTIs and stones, etc.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
No pain meds and she is so wild, I don't think I could give them to her. That's why I asked for the injection. I've had a UTI and I unfortunately wasn't feeling great at 48 hours lol. I've been in contact with my vet. They'll call to follow up tomorrow. Thank you. ❤
Ha. I've had cats for 47 years, and Lily and Iris are the first cats I've had that I absolutely cannot pill. My third, Mocha, is a former feral, and I can't pill her either. However, my vet gave me gabapentin capsules when Mocha had a dental procedure, and all I had to do was open the capsule and mix the powder in her wet food. She became a limp, purring rag. (I also use it to get her in the carrier and to the vet for check ups.) I've used it with all three cats, and none of them seem to realize it's in their food. And with Lily and her UTI, they gave me buprenorphine. It's the tiniest amount of liquid in a syringe. I just squirted it in the side of her mouth. I had to be VERY quick, but after three or four times, she stopped fighting me tooth and nail (literally). I still had to work very fast, but it did take the edge off her pain. That's not to say that I haven't squirted it over my hand a couple of times when she jerked her head away, but I got very fast and very good at it. :) Just a couple of things to keep in the back of your mind for the future.
IMG_4562.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking a urine sample simply involves flipping the cat over and pulling the urine out with a needle. This prevents contamination from being exposed to the air and the urethra. Often the cat doesn't need to be sedated to do this. Flushing out the bladder is much more invasive than taking a sample.

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea without a urinalysis how a UTI or crystals can be confirmed/identified. But, more over, I am confused - the vet could flush out her bladder, but not be able to collect urine because of Leia being high strung and hard to deal with? How does one flush out a bladder with no issue on a cat, but cannot collect urine? I think they must have collected urine and at least done a urinalysis. Find out, and then ask to look at the test results, and after that ask your vet to explain what those results mean to them. It is truly an eye opener to review the actual results, then learn what they are, and talk to your vet about what they mean.

As far as the cleaners - everyone has their own opinion about what works and doesn't work. I hate Nature's Miracle, and despite literally soaking carpet that took days to dry, it never did a thing to remove urine smells. If I could still smell it, most certainly could my cat. If you can't smell urine after you use it, you are 'ahead in the game' compared to me. But, for the most part, I really don't think that is your primary issue.

I am so sorry, I should clarify, Leia has to be sedated. I think 30 minutes of sedation is 45.00. That is how she was able to flush out her bladder with fluids. I asked and they didn't do a urinalysis. She normally only does a urinalysis if the cat has had more than one UTI. I understand and I'm thankful for your insight but I do trust this vet very much. She's the only cat only vet in town. She's taken care of my cats for 10 years now and I trust that she'll always do what's right for them. I will stay on top of Leia's health. I'll give a different cleaner a try. Thanks again for everything. ❤

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taking a urine sample simply involves flipping the cat over and pulling the urine out with a needle. This prevents contamination from being exposed to the air and the urethra. Often the cat doesn't need to be sedated to do this. Flushing out the bladder is much more invasive than taking a sample.
She did try but there was not enough urine in her bladder.

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also to clarify, she did try to get a sample but her bladder was empty. If needed, she'll give me a urine collection kit to collect her urine at home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK. But, tbh, without a urinalysis, your vet is really treating Leia on a guess. Good that you trust them! I hope it works out! Perhaps, since you really trust this vet, they can give you some insight on when to expect Leia to stop the inappropriate peeing? It would seem that they have a better perspective about Leia, along with your knowledge of her, to make an assessment on this aspect than anyone here on this site?? Keep us posted! Btw, Leia is very pretty!

thejedigoddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK. But, tbh, without a urinalysis, your vet is really treating Leia on a guess. Good that you trust them! I hope it works out! Perhaps, since you really trust this vet, they can give you some insight on when to expect Leia to stop the inappropriate peeing? It would seem that they have a better perspective about Leia, along with your knowledge of her, to make an assessment on this aspect than anyone here on this site?? Keep us posted! Btw, Leia is very pretty!
At the time of this post, I was waiting on a call back from the vet. I reached out because I wanted the perspective of cat owners who have been through a similar issue. Just because I trust my vet doesn't mean I can't appreciate a different perspective of the situation and trust me, I do appreciate your insight as well as the others. I'll keep you posted and Thank you, I think she's quiet pretty as well. :)

Thank you.