Cat diagnosed with Eosinophilic Granuloma

Katherine90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little Maude went in for a teeth cleaning late last year and they found this right at the back of her tongue. It was quite large and was the cause of her rather bad breath as it turns out.
Since then we have swapped her to a hypoallergenic diet and she has had two steroid injections over I think 3 months.
After a few weeks we noticed her runny eye that vets always put down as allergies stopped running and her fur was in much better condition so I’m assuming they were linked all along.

she hasn’t had a steroid now since early January and we have noticed that her fur getting greasy and her eyes running a little bit.

In an ideal world I don’t really want her to have steroids anymore than necessary due to potential side effects, but I can’t help but feel they made a big difference. She is only 5 and otherwise is good health and full of beans!

As the lump is still on her tongue, I can only see it when she yawns so only briefly. She is due to go back in some time for her teeth clean again as they didn’t do it before because of the lump so the vets can hopefully have a good look then. They did say it could have left scar tissue?

has anyone else dealt with this condition? And if so, what did you find helpful?
Maude is on the Royal Canine Hypoallergenic biscuits and Wellness Core pouches.

thank you ☺

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Some cases of EG can be harder to treat than others., and some of those do require repeated steroid treatments. How did the vet diagnose EG - through a tissue sample analysis? If not, there are other conditions that can cause similar issues, such as some viruses.

Most EG cases are related to food allergies, I wonder if the hypoallergenic food is the right one for Maude, or it could be the Wellness food attributing to the problem. There is a chance that routine steroids will be needed as those are what is helping her rather than the food.

I did a search on this site for threads about EG and thought you might be interested in looking through them while wait for others to respond directly.
Search Results for Query: Eosinophilic Granuloma | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katherine90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you 😊
I will definitely look into other options for her wet food. We did try a few other brands first but she point blank refused to eat them 😅 she is definitely more of a biscuit lover and I did wonder about just giving her some salmon or other meat instead of wet cat foods, but I will discuss with her vet also.
She is quite a tiny cat so I have been mindful about making sure she still has food she enjoys to keep her weight up.

I will go and have a read on those other threads, it has been quite difficult finding out much about this condition so I really appreciate it 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katherine90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant to say, they did carry out a biopsy of the lump and that was their diagnosis x