Cat Dewormed and Now Very Sluggish and Little Appetite

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 11 month old cat was dewormed (round worms) and was given some anti vomit medication.
He is not eating much except some treats and wet food broth since he was dewormed. He is very sluggish
but shows signs he wants to play. Should I be concerned?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I'm not clear why your cat was given the anti vomit medication, was he throwing up before the deworming?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, you didn't mention how long ago he was given these items, but if there is any concern at all, since presumably these were given by a Vet, I would call them and let them know what is happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I agree the anti vomiting med was odd. He vomited 3 times only and has not since. The Vet thought that he may have had something else going on. I was not crazy about it. He is improving but is still a little sluggish. His appetite has improved.

He was given the meds and deworming on Monday (4 days ago).

Another question. My wife insist that Louie has a slight fever. He feels warm. Is this something anyone has experienced?
Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should probably let your Vet know that he isn't acting right ever since the deworming and exactly what is going on. You know he needs another dose of it, right? The deworming only kills the adult worms, so you've got to next go after the larvae once they reach adulthood, in just a couple weeks. Then he might need monthly "maintenance" to keep them away. Perhaps your Vet might want to use a different med the next go round.

As to running a fever, warmth doesn't have anything to do with it in cats. Lethargy, lack of appetite, maybe even shivering can be signs. The only way to know for certain is to take their temperature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Today he seems much better. Yes, he will be treated again in another week (that will be two weeks). We also bought Revolution Plus and will apply it monthly for 3 months. I think I failed the little guy by not following up after he was dewormed a few months back. That will not happen again. He was really in bad shape. He is back playing and seems more like himself. I agree - it will take some time to get rid of all the larvae.