Cat destroys things no matter what i do

d3szczowo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A first time cat owner here, I've had my cat since December 2023(she's around 6 months now). As much as I love her, she's been recently testing my limits. Anytime I come home or even just sit in my room, she breaks something. It isn't really a new behaviour since she was pretty destructive even as a kitten, but it has gotten worse recently. To make it clear, most of the day she's locked in one room but when someone comes home she's let out to roam around the house(can't let her out all the time beacuse we have dogs and we don't wanna risk them fighting when we're not around). I play with her anytime I'm free and I also take her outside for at least 30 minutes each day. No matter what I do though, she often jumps around my room, destroying my posters or knocking my water glasses down. I tried scolding her and showing her not to do it but she never learns. Is there any way I can change that behaviour?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving her much more time out of her room may help her behavior. She is a young cat with a ton of energy and needs to be able to tear from room to room to wear it off. Is it possible to pen the dogs on some days so she has freedom?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Kittens can be crazy, some more than others! Kitten proofing is essential and since she is confined to a single area, entertainment is of the utmost importance. I am offering you some TCS articles I strongly recommend you read, as I believe they will give you some tips on how to help you and your kitten get through her kittenhood stage.
First Time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite
The Ultimate Kitten Care Guide - Top Tips for Raising Happy Kittens - TheCatSite
13 Practical Ways to Kitten-Proof Your Home - TheCatSite

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A first time cat owner here, I've had my cat since December 2023(she's around 6 months now). As much as I love her, she's been recently testing my limits. Anytime I come home or even just sit in my room, she breaks something. It isn't really a new behaviour since she was pretty destructive even as a kitten, but it has gotten worse recently. To make it clear, most of the day she's locked in one room but when someone comes home she's let out to roam around the house(can't let her out all the time beacuse we have dogs and we don't wanna risk them fighting when we're not around). I play with her anytime I'm free and I also take her outside for at least 30 minutes each day. No matter what I do though, she often jumps around my room, destroying my posters or knocking my water glasses down. I tried scolding her and showing her not to do it but she never learns. Is there any way I can change that behaviour?
"If the world was flat cats would knock everything over"
It's usually because of boredom. Does she have a tower ,cubes, chew toys, square and rectangular scratch posts? Even a cat condo outside

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Morgana’s Human Morgana’s Human may have some advice as well!

Generally, museum putty will be your best friend. Bored cats destroy things so youll want to give lots to do. Shes a young cat and they do best with playmates. That means extra work playing with her if she's an only cat.

Shes also still a baby until shes 2. Shes learning human language as well as how to cat right now.

Id also recommend clicker training for her!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming when you come home she is expecting to eat. Another reason for acting wild. The dogs. The dogs clicker training too. That should be fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

d3szczowo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Giving her much more time out of her room may help her behavior. She is a young cat with a ton of energy and needs to be able to tear from room to room to wear it off. Is it possible to pen the dogs on some days so she has freedom?
Unfortunately it isn't possible to pen the dogs on some days :( She's already let out all the time as long as someone is home so can't do anything about it, but I'll try going outside with her more!

d3szczowo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"If the world was flat cats would knock everything over"
It's usually because of boredom. Does she have a tower ,cubes, chew toys, square and rectangular scratch posts? Even a cat condo outside
She has all the toys stated, but I'll get her a horizontal scratching post and maybe some more diverse toy types to keep her busy :]

d3szczowo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Assuming when you come home she is expecting to eat. Another reason for acting wild. The dogs. The dogs clicker training too. That should be fun!
Don't think it's about eating beacuse she always has food in her bowl when I come home or anytime she destroys something(like in the morning at 4 am, even if I give her food she'll still jump around or try to climb my posters). She gets along well with the dogs and sometimes plays with them, but mostly they ignore eachother. But ill try clicker training both her and the dogs, thank you :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just being a kitten, human toddlers are the same! Older cats are MUCH calmer, couch potatoes, but she is just too young and full of it at 6 months. More exercise, get a string wand, or a laser light, and try to engage her for a few minutes when you can. You are doing the best you can, just keep thinking, "this too will pass", and it will!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A teenager!! Hunt,catch kill time ao it doesn't matter much about food. It took my cat Maggie years to calm down. My other 2 are much more mellow. Also enjoyed the ripple rug