Cat Depression

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I've been thinking about this and decided to post something.
Two weeks ago, my cat Timmer passed away. He and my other cat, Lupita never got along. Lu was here first. I always suspected she was semi-feral or had a feral parent from the skittish way she acts; doesn't like to be held or touched much. Runs when you try to catch her most of the time. I adopted her many years ago with another female cat and they got along fine. That female only lived for four years after my adoption and passed away from kidney failure. That left Lupita alone. I don't think I even waited a week and ran out and adopted Timmer. He was a lovely bengal and very affectionate towards me, but tried to kill her every chance he got. I built a door that they could see each other through but not get to each other, on the second floor landing and Lupita lived upstairs and he lived downstairs. We lived like this for 7, 8 years. I would switch the cats around a couple of times a day so she could come downstairs.

Now that Timmer is gone, she is the only cat in the house. I took that separation door down and she has full run of the house. I noticed she doesn't come downstairs much. She comes down to eat, hangs out with me for about ten minutes and goes back upstairs. She sleeps with me. I work, so I don't know what she does all day. Probably sleeps. I feel like I'm living alone. I go upstairs and try to interact with her but she isn't that interested. I suspect she has been trained to be the upstairs cat after all these years.

I'm starting to get concerned she is depressed. This is the first time in like 12 years she's been the only cat in the house. While she and Tim hated each other, at least they "spoke each other's language." I am sure they talked through the door. It was a gate type door so they did see each other. And after a couple of years, I used to let him upstairs if i was up there. I'd be getting ready for bed and Lupita would hide under the bed. Sometimes I could engage them in play together or treats, but it would always end up in him going after her.

I'm not sure how to handle this. I don't want to get another cat. I'm not ready ... I took Timmer's death VERY hard. He was my little boy and I did what I could for him. It's been two weeks since he died and I still cry daily.
And after what Lupita has been through, I thought she might be better off alone. She's about 13-14 now, skittish. She does seem more relaxed but now and then I find her hiding, like she's afraid he's still here. Bringing another cat into the house might be stressful for her all over again. I'd love it if she would come downstairs and sit with me on the couch, but she doesn't like stuff like that. The only time she comes near me is to snuggle in bed, and then she's all over me.
I'm just not sure what to do.
If anyone has any thoughts or dealt with this before, please tell me your experience or thoughts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are my thoughts; I think the main thing is you are right, she can still smell timmer and doesn't trust that he might not still show up. That will take time for her confidence to return.
Plus, when you're downstairs you're in what was timmers territory in addition to being so upset. Again, this will take time.
The thing I find so positive is that she loves you like crazy when you're upstairs.
Be calm in your heart where she is concerned. She is ok, just adjusting to a big change, and know that she is doing her very absolute darndest to help you and to share with you.
I think I would wait before introducing another personality into the household. You both need time to allow some of the complications to settle and to become more quiet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@ furballsmom, thank you! Wise words. I'm looking for the things I don't see, rather than the things I should see.
For some reason I had totally forgotten that she still smells him in the house. I guess I'm desperately trying to hold onto what I can and I wish I could smell him too...but...I can't. But you are right, she can!
And again, right, she loves me at bedtime and is very happy, attentive towards me, cuddling as close as she can, purring. It's the only time I think she is happy, really. Some nights I've gone to bed at 8:00 because I've been so sad and she is right there with me. God bless her.
Thank you.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with furballsmom; she needs time. Its been her life for a long time. Some cats might change quickly; others need time to consider it. She is a senior gal; so I don't think adding a friend would help. I also don't think she's depressed; but just processing the changes in your home. And shes picking up your emotions too. It sounds to me like she loves you and she is ok with her life as it is.

You can try some gentle encouragement; but let her set the pace.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I spend a lot of time upstairs because Poppy prefers it - I'm happy to go along with that as I have a TV in my bedroom and it's warm and snuggly. Could you spend more evening time up there with her just doing what you would do downstairs, until she feels she can venture down there more? Not necessarily sleeping early but TV, book, hobbies etc?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks is not long at all in a cat's world. Two weeks is not long in the grieving process either. Lupita is set in her ways, she has a routine and she was comfortable with it, now Timmer's death has upset the routine again, and yours. It will take many months for both of you to accept a different 'normal'. Lupita is also female, which in my experience, MOST females are not as affectionate, or need companionship of their humans as much as males. She is most likely happy, she is missing Timmer, I am sure, and is confused and wary. She will come around, she may never be as close as Timmer was, but she loves and needs you just as much. Accept her for being her, embrace her ways and give her love and attention when she accepts it. Don't force her to do anything, I'm sure you are not, just encourage her to be with you more, and in time she will be more receptive to the idea. You both need each other right now, you are both grieving in your own way. Time and lots of it is the help you need. Bless you for your love for these babies, you are her world and she is yours......

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you spend more evening time up there with her just doing what you would do downstairs, until she feels she can venture down there more? Not necessarily sleeping early but TV, book, hobbies etc?
Mmm....not really. I'm trying to play with her when she ventures downstairs and give her love and groom her to make it pleasant. I work a lot and don't get home until 7:00 and i'm in bed by 10:00 so I don't have much time for myself in terms of TV, making dinner, cleaning up, doing a chore. But like last night I was tired and depressed and I went to bed at 8:30 and she snuggled with me and was happy.
I noticed she is spending more time in the mornings downstairs with me. She's in the other room, but she's watching me from the other room.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys are right, she's probably OK with things now and it is going to take more time. For me too. I still cry so hard at times because I miss Timmer. She is coming downstairs in the mornings now and she is spending a bit more time with me. I saw her playing with toys and stretched out on the new area rug I bought, she seemed to be enjoying her morning. Last night she was downstairs while I finished supper, then went upstairs.
She loves fresh air and having windows open, so perhaps by late spring and into summer when I can have windows open she will come around.
Agree, at this point in her age, it might not be wise to get a companion for her, especially after being bullied for so long.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you've already gotten lots of wise advice, and just wanted to offer my condolences on Timmer's death. I recently lost my beloved cat, and know how hard it is to let go of a cat who's a soulmate.