Cat Defecating 50% Of The Time Outside Of The Litterbox - Behaviour?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure here, but I believe that gray stool can indicate liver issues...Someone who knows for sure, chime in here!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he lost any weight at all?

If the vet suggests the Hills Science Diet food I would be inclined to try it. Just to see. Anything that is really mild, really limited ingredient. Maybe a wet food? I would ask the vet. I don't want to make it worse though and am not sure if it will help but it is a worth a try possibly.

The issue is definitely not obvious. We still have the lingering thyroid question outstanding. But he has had this pretty much all his life, there are no parasites etc, no inflammation, mild food helps to some degree but there are still issues (though not as bad and certainly livable). I would have thought we would have seen a decrease in the times going per day and somewhat in the consistency. It doesn't make sense that he would be vomiting now. Unless it is the texture or consistency of the food or the blandness.

Yeah, I am guessing he didn't actually try to go outside of the litter box.

It could be his fur, that he is ingesting the fur and passing it. Tough to tell though.

Poor guy. The vet seems good so hopefully they can pinpoint it and find a solution. It kind of sounds like IBS. I would have thought there would have been inflammation. Could still be thyroid. His body just doesn't seem to handle food well BUT I think he isn't losing weight. A lot of mixed signals. The vet is very important in this. At least he is using the litter box so he must feel better.

So wonderful you married. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness.

I don't think any activity etc around the wedding was a cause since he has been having this for a while. I think it is just his body.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing. I feel so bad for him but he has a loving home and family. So he is very lucky in that regard.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should this turn out to be IBD, we have some members with LOTS of experience, and I will flag this for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree completely - this is SO weird! I don't understand why he suddenly got so bad in...September? (my brain is fuzzy now, I can't quite remember when this started to get so bad...). Is that a usual thing with IBS, to get it later on in life, perhaps after a lot of stress? I should do some reading up on it - all I really know about it is that my step mother has it and it is apparently NOT fun at all (understatement of the year!)

Weight - he hasn't really gained or lost any since he started eating again, when we put him on the Hypo. In April, when he arrived here from the States, he was the skinniest he's ever been, but even then he was at about 11lbs (he had been at about 15-16lbs when I'd last saw him in January), and now, he's at about 12lbs, which is much healthier than he'd been before he flew over here (he is a big kitty - tall and long). He's got a food feel to his ribs now - not too fatty, not too bony anymore.

I didn't get a chance to ask about thyroid today, and it's Friday here, so I'll give them a call and ask if we tested his thyroid, on Monday, and if not, I'll see how much that costs and see if we can do it that day - they're pretty good about getting us in the day we call, and it's nice that we live just around the corner).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he was young you mentioned he had soft stools. Do you remember if he went multiple times a day then? And/or did he ever not use the litter box?

I am guessing he was quarantined for a while after entering Australia. And I am sure the journey was not a lot of fun. And given he lost weight he was probably under a lot of stress.

It is great that his weight has stabilized and that he is using the litter box despite the number of times a day and the consistency. He must be absorbing food fairly well since he is not losing.

He is 9 so things do happen in middle age to older cats. IBS/IBD is something that we have to consider. I think the vet is thinking that as well. Mamanyt's offer is extremely helpful and I would definitely utilize that expertise.

The thyroid test is pretty inexpensive. So it is good to rule out at a fairly low cost.

You obviously love him so his stress should come down soon. I would probably reach out to experts on IBD/IBS and if possible try to do some of the things suggested and see if it helps in concert with the vet.

Please keep us up on how things are going. I am wishing him continued improvement. Thank you so much for all you are doing for him.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he was young, I can only assume he had multiple stools then - my family had (and still does have) multiple cats, so it's hard to say who had what kind of stool, but for the few short periods of time (like the 8 months leading up to my move to Australia) when I had a personal litterbox for him to use in my bedroom that no other cat could access, he did for sure have multiple runny stools a day. He also got a stress-related GI infection in...May, maybe? of 2016, which is what led me to give him said personal box in my bedroom, by way of literally installing a microchip-accessed cat door into my bedroom so only he could get in. He was being heavily bullied at that time by another of the cats, a younger male, and I think this stressed caused the GI-upset - he was having bloody diarrhea then as well, on my bedroom carpet (but nowhere near a litterbox since I did not have one in there at that time). Even after all the stress was clear (he had his "safe place" and was much happier, though still bullied if he left the room) and he had gone through his antibiotics, he still had the runny stool, multiple times a day. That's been the only time he's *defecated* outside the litterbox - with the younger male, he had a habit of peeing on stuff up on the counters/desks because the younger male would chase him as soon as his feet touched the floor to go to the litterbox, so he took to staying mostly on the counters and just...peeing up there :X And of course, then the other male would have to pee there too, to show his dominance. That was a bad time in our house. Thankfully it'll all good now for both homes - Stratus does his business in the boxes, and Quark, the other cat, doesn't have to harass anyone or pee where they peed to assert his dominance. (big jerk...)

Sorry for the long story, lol.

Being a former vet tech (like ten years ago...lol.), I am also surprised that he's not losing weight and/or dehydrated, with how often he has runny stools and vomits. I wish I'd kept up with my vet tech education so I could remember more...

After having a read about IBD/IBS and hyperthyroidism, I will be rather surprised if the vet didn't have us do a T4 test...I feel like with everything else we've tried, that would have been one of the first things we would have checked? Buuuuut maybe they do things differently here - I already know my vet doesn't seem to do much in the way of regular fecal exams (they have to send it out to a lab, they don't do it themselves), which was a shock to me, haha. I was like, shoot, I'll do it myself, just lemme borrow a microscope and a fecal float device! xD

Anyway, thanks guys! Nice to have that support. <3

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the great information.

Stress can definitely cause issues. Poor guy. But at least now he is in a good place. Hopefully when he settles in and builds more confidence and relaxes things will improve (in addition to some of the ideas coming from the IBS/IBD folks).

Building his confidence could be very helpful. So if he is up to playing and it doesn't upset his tunny etc I would play as much as possible with him. Then feed his meal (if the vet thinks feeding after play or just playing in of itself is ok). Also, if possible try to get as many cat trees etc so he can be up in the world. Also, a lot of comfy and warm bedding. Maybe some window perches too? And finally just continue to give him a lot of love and stay calm and confident around him. Hopefully as he feels more confident and secure he will relax a bit more and feel less stressed.

I am guessing the vet probably doesn't think it is the thyroid if the test wasn't done. I always like to rule it out in these cases.

BTW, I am very impressed you were a vet tech. That will help a lot in handling this. He is in good hands.

You are very welcome. We are always here for you and please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regarding the thyroid - I went to the vet to pick up a bag of the Z/D Science Diet (which they were out of, but they will call me when the shipment comes in on Friday) and to ask about thyroid. She said we didn't test for it, and the test would be $140, plus the consultation fee of $70...ugh. That might have to wait until after the visa, as well, or at least until we can take out a loan from the bank of "Mum-in-law"...I'm so glad I love my husband's mother - having to ask for money from someone I disliked would be really galling, but she WANTS to help us with my visa, and I'd much rather pay her back than some impersonal bank...

Nothing other than that to "report" - he's still eating, drinking, doing his business. Hasn't thrown up today, but knowing my luck, he's just saving it for when I go to bed or something, hehe.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. When the time comes you can always ask her her advice on whether it could be the thyroid before considering spending the money. I always like to rule it out in these cases but it isn't obvious that is what it is. But we never know until we do the test.

It is always best to keep it in the family. I agree.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't throw up.

Please let us know how things are going and if you have any questions. Thank you so much for all you do for him.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: to all of it! I know how wearing it can be, dealing with a sick cat, not having the answers. It can be financially draining and terrifying. We're here.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna go ahead and post that new Health thread soon, but just as an update, I'm having trouble with him and the litter boxes again, and it's just getting worse as each day goes on :(

I think I'm gonna have to try the tile-floor thing, because cleaning up the carpet 2-3 times a day is really wearing on me...He gets so close to the box, and it's almost as if he does this on purpose, but he poops *just* on the corner of the potty pad, so it puddles onto multiple pads...and then *of course* he has to cover it, even though he never covers it when he actually uses the litter box, so now it's smeared all over each pad and on the carpet.

I'm gonna give both litter boxes a good washout again tomorrow, and then I'll go get some tiling to cover the entire hallway carpet...(he's still fine to pee in the box ~_~ count my blessings, I guess....). Sigh.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.

Is he only on the sensitive stomach food still?

The poor guy. I know how frustrating it is. Trust me when I say he would much rather be going in the litter box because that would mean he is feeling better. He tries to cover it because he knows it is wrong most likely. The poor guy but I think there are many people on this site with great experience with IBS who should be able to help. That new thread could be very helpful in helping him feel better.

Hang in there, I know it is hard and frustrating. Thank you so much for loving him and standing by him.