Cat Defecating 50% Of The Time Outside Of The Litterbox - Behaviour?

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, long time no see. I'm liking the look of the forums - looks much different than "back in the day" when I used to frequent this place! I didn't even think I had an account here, but when I put in my usual username, it said it was taken, so I tried logging in with a password I figured I would have used back then...and here I am again!

Anyway; sorry for blabbering on - I have a problem kitty. I'm really sorry, it's gonna be a long post.

Stratus is a 9 year old DSH neutered male cat I've had all of his life. He flew over here to Australia in April of this year, from the United States, to continue living with me after I moved here in January. All of his life, he has had soft stools - I've always figured there could be a few reasons for this : poor diet (we had anywhere from 4-7 cats at any given time, so my parents bought the best cat food they could afford, which wasn't always a great food), stress (lots of cats, not much space AND the other male bullied my male ceaselessly until I installed a microchip-activated cat door into my bedroom so Stratus would have a safe place to go), and maybe even just complications from being handfed kitten milk as a kitten, and possibly improperly weaned onto regular food? I'm not sure if he has sensitivities to food - I haven't yet noticed any differences in stool hardness or anything when trying different foods with him.

Anyway, from April until the very beginning of August we lived in a hard-floored apartment, and he used the litterbox just fine. It is a large tupperware storage box with high sides, no lid (he's tall, and has never liked covered boxes). Never ever pooped (or peed, for that matter) anywhere he wasn't supposed to.

We moved apartments in early August. Everything was great - the apartment is lovely, it has soft carpet that he LOVES to scratch even though it's so dense he does no damage to it (yay!); he actually gets SUNSHINE here (the other place looked out to...the building next door, which blocked all sunlight); he can go out on the balcony (supervised, of course); it's quiet; there are no other animals, or even other people other than myself and my fiance, who Stratus adores; he gets fed twice a day and loves his food; we play a lot; etc.

About mid September, he had an intestinal upset (lethargy, no appetite which was very abnormal for him as he LOVES his food, vomiting, and diarrhea - during which he would actually gag in the litter box as he was trying to defecate) and went to the vet, who, even though I told her he doesn't go outside (he wasn't allowed onto the balcony at this time), decided to deworm him (and I did tell her he had been fully and repeatedly dewormed in the US because of requirements by AUS importation of pets) and give him antibiotics (specifically metronidazole, and an oral dewormer), as well as the equivalent of the US "Forti-Flora" to mix into his food. She also did his blood work and all of his numbers were good.

Now, he's back to his old self - running around, being a silly boy, enjoying life and food, yet still having the same kind of soft stool he's had all his life...but he's pooping about 50% of the time on the floor right in front of the litterbox. On Saturday, he pooped 100% on the floor (I cleaned up the carpet 5 times that day), but before that, and since then, about 50% of the time it's on the floor, a few cat-steps away from the box. He still pees in the box. When I do catch him pooping in the box, I praise him lavishly and give him treats. I haven't caught him in the act of pooping outside the box yet.

I've taken to putting potty-pads down over the area he's been pooping in...and he ALWAYS manages to poop RIGHT on the edge of it so I still need to clean the carpet. I don't know how he angles his butt to miss it by *that* much, to be honest with you - it's like he's aiming, haha (I laugh, but I'm getting very frustrated). I dumped the entire litterbox and washed it out yesterday, and put in brand new litter. He's still pooping outside about 50%. I've seen him go in...sniff around....leave the area hurriedly, and then when I come back later (10-15 mins), there's poop on the carpet.

I did notice today, the FIRST firm stool I've seen from him in YEARS (if I've ever seen one from him, I honestly can't think of a time that I knew he had firm stools), and it was in the litterbox, but all other stools since that, and before that, have been mushy, soft, or even downright liquid-y (which is what I am used to seeing from him).

Things I'm going to try - I'll try doing a second litter box (I don't know why he'd suddenly decide he wants to poop elsewhere while peeing in one place consistently, but I'll give it a try), and I'll try experimenting with new litters even though this one is the nicest flushable, non-scented litter I've found (AUS is starting to get rid of plastic bags in my area, and I'm not sure how else to dispose non-flushable litter?). Might try moving the regular box to a different location (maybe the bathroom where the floor is a tile, so maybe if he does continue doing this, at least cleanup won't be so difficult...ugh). Also going to go to the pet store to find an enzyme cleaner, because I cannot find one at the regular grocery store, which sucks since we don't have a car...

My question is - how do I know if this is a behavioural issue (maybe he associates the box now with the pain and unpleasantness of his being sick?), and how do I fix it if that is the case? I don't understand why he would use it sometimes, if he associates it with pain. Thank you for thanking the time to read all of this, and again, I'm sorry it was so long!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about his problems.

I am guessing he is feeling pain while going. Cats go outside of the litter box because of medical (especially pain) or behavioral as you mentioned.

Since his stools are soft and he had some issues (diarrhea) he may be having pain from going (is he going several times a day some days?). Did your vet mention he may have inflammation of the intestines from Irritable Bowel Syndrome? The vets use of Metro and Forti Flora suggests that. I would ask about inflammation and what can be done if that is the case. Your vet may suggest something like Prednisone.

Also, make sure your vet checks your cat's thyroid for any problems. It may be his thyroid.

Was he checked for Giardia recently or did he have it when he was young?

I don't think the cause is territorial. It could be some stress form the moves etc. Stress can cause loose stools. But I suspect it is mostly pain driven.

I can see you love your cat very much. Keep letting him know he is loved, stay calm and relaxed with him and when cleaning up (I know it is hard but he doesn't want to do this). Cats take on our emotions so the more calm and relaxed we are they more they should be.

I would keep talking to the vet about pain driven issues causes potentially by inflammation/irritable bowel or from his thyroid.

Also, maybe the vet could suggest a food that might be easier for his body.

I am glad to help on behavioral issues.

I hope this helps and he gets well soon. Thank you so much for caring about him.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome back, although I hate that it was this kind of issue that brought you here!

UM...I'm going to make a wild guess and think that the intestinal upset might have been the trigger for this. Combined with the lovely, soft carpets, which are a new thing for him (so inviting for all those unpleasantries which fur falls heir to (forgive me, William Shakespeare). As to what to do about it...I like your idea of moving the box to the bathroom for a couple of reasons. First, the cleanup is far, far easier. Second, the difference between the "soft" litter and the hard floor will be far more obvious to him. That might trigger an "OH! HERE!" thought somewhere in his fuzzy little catbrain. Odder things have happened. And, since the ideal is 1 box per cat, plus 1, an extra box in some reasonable area wouldn't be amiss. A thought...if moving the box to a hard floor seems to work, get a remnant of vinyl flooring (dirt cheap) from an installer and put it under the second box. You may even be able to move the primary out of the bathroom, should you want to do so. Make sure you used a good enzymatic cleaner on your carpets, as HE can smell where he went even if you can't.

Let me see what I can find in our articles for you, as well...

~elevator music plays~

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet (but you did that already)
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

It's a LOT, and most of it is very basic, but as one expert in an obscure field once told me, "When in doubt, go back to the basics. Most of the time, that's where your answer lies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, Calicos.

Yes, he has loose stools every time (minus that literal one time I mentioned), and he goes multiple times a day, and has had multiple loose stools every day since he was a kitten. The only difference in stool now, as opposed to before we moved to this apartment, is that now, his stools are more often much wetter, so you could be very right that the stress caused/is causing it to be worse.

My vet...this was the first time I've seen her (might try another...). She seemed to just assume it was parasites. She did not mention anything about IBS, or diet, or thyroid, but I'm not sure if thyroid would have been included in the complete blood panel. I will ask. Regarding giardia...he very well might have had it when he was younger, but he was dewormed 1-2 times as a kitten, dewormed twice in April, and now dewormed and completed a week of metronidazole last month. Also (and I found this VERY surprising, considering how common it is to do in the US), the vet did not want to actually do a fecal because they don't do the fecal test in-house.

Unrelated to your reply, I also thought maybe it was due to the box not being clean enough for him, so in addition to fully changing and cleaning it out, I now scoop out each poop as I see them in the box, and flush it immediately. He seems unimpressed with my devotion to keeping his litter clean for him haha.

And I thank you for your reply as well, Mamanyt.

I will say that before April, back in my parents home (8.5 years), he was fully used to carpets, and never once *pooped* anywhere (he and the male who bullied him DID engage in a pee-war for about 2 years though...UGH, glad that's over. Both males have since stopped now that Stratus is here with me.) If anything, I was surprised he didn't have any "accidents" on the hardwood floors of the April-August apartment, since he's never been on that surface before.

But! That is an interesting idea, to try the vinyl. I'm also not sure where I will place the second box - he likes to pee standing up, so he needs the high sides of the big storage box he has now, and we're really strapped for space...but I'll figure something out. Would it maybe be better to leave the main big box where it is (in a storage nook - no door on the area, it's just like an...open space off to the side of the hallway to the bathroom; really quiet and slightly darker than the main room), and put the second, smaller box in, say, the walk-in shower (easy cleanup), or would the two boxes be too close to each other (only one wall between them)? It's just such a BIG box, I don't even think I could fit it in my bathroom, now that I think about it!

I will head to the pet store to check out cleaning agents today, and pick up some different litter. And I will also take a look over all of those links you gave me, thank you.

Thanks for the discussion, you two!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

Thank you for the additional information.

The fact he is (and has been) going multiple times each day can lead to an irritation. After time that irritation can be very uncomfortable and therefore cause him to go outside of the box as he associates the box with pain. The fact he is peeing in the litter box also suggests that.

Has he gone multiple times a day since he was a kitten as well or is it just recent?

Soft stools could be due to drinking a lot or eating more wet food. Have you noticed that he is drinking more than usual recently or did he always drink more than the other cats?

He could have an allergy or intolerance for an ingredient in the food. I am not an expert on foods but you may want to post on the "Nutrition" part of the site to get suggestions on limited ingredient or allergy issues that might cause loose stools etc. I would also ask the vet as she may have good recommendations for a more "mild" food for sensitive stomachs.

I would ask the vet whether there is any inflammation or "thickness" in the stomach or intestines. I would guess she felt there and she must not have felt any but I would ask just to make sure.

I would definitely ask the vet about his thyroid. There is a test that can rule out thyroid issues. Touch does not always work.

I would just ask about the thyroid, IBS/Inflammation and diet and see what she says. Also make sure you give as much of his history as possible to the vet (much of what you have written in the last post) as that should be helpful.

Please let us know what the vet says. We can work on behavior things as well (more litter boxes, quieter places for them, different types of litter, more play, etc.). In my heart I think if we can firm up his stools and get him to go once a day that he will go back to using the litter boxes but we can't rule out a behavior driven issue.

Thank you so much for caring so much about him. I am glad he has a parent like you to help him through this.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now that I think about it, a decent sized piece of vinyl beneath both litter boxes may allow you to place them where ever you can fit them in, and be assured of easy cleanups! That's at least a step in the right direction.

C calicosrspecial has given you some EXCELLENT information, as well!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! We have another vet appointment today. We will discuss Thyroid and IBS - for sure I think I want to get him on a different diet, maybe the digestion formula from Science Diet or whatever the other Vet brand is (my mind is blanking on the name...Edit - Royal Canin? I feel like that's the other vet brand...)

Yes, he has been going multiple times a day with soft stool all of his life. The only difference between then and now, it that the stool is even more liquid, so I definitely agree with you that it's more irritation, more pain. Another thing I've noticed, is that when the stool is MORE loose (and maybe even has blood in it, like last night :( ), it's on the floor. Also, if he does poop in the box, he runs out immediately, he doesn't cover it at all. Yet, if it is on the floor or on potty pads on the floor (also still in the same place), you'll hear him trying to "cover" it with carpet, potty pad, etc.

He has not been drinking any more or any less than is usual for him.

I have always suspected that he may be sensitive to foods, but it's never affected him beyond the loose stool, so I never truly looked into it, but will definitely do so now, and I feel badly that I didn't before...

The vet did feel his abdomen for a good amount of time, and did not seem to feel anything out of place, but I'm sure she will check him again today.

In addition to going to the vet today, I did go to the pet store yesterday to pick up a better cleaning agent, and to scope out litters. Everything is so expensive here! I did manage to find a cleaner, but the litter is going to more difficult to figure out, so I'm still working on that one. I did JUST set up a second box, and I placed it on top of the potty pads, which are on top of where he's been pooping, so we'll see what he does with that haha. Since he's pooping there anyway, hopefully he'll think "oh look, a brand-new box to poop in," and spare me the cleaning...I just hope he doesn't pee in it, because he tends to lift his butt as he pees, so it would go right over the lower walls of this box...Little stinker.

Ultimately, I do think that the diet/upset stomach issue needs to be solved before anything else will work, so that will be the main focus for right now.

And thank you - I raised him from just a few days old, so he is very much my "baby". I realise that I probably made a lot of mistakes with him, as I was not very well prepared to raise a kitten, but I have always tried my best, and I want to do right by him. <3 He's my best friend.

Last edited:

caelesto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Harley had horrible tummy issues for ages before a vet finally figured out what was wrong. it is basically IBS, but I also found out she is allergic to chicken. I started buying only cat food without any chicken at all in the ingredients (BLOODY EXPENSIVE), and it was like magic. Now she only gets the runs every once in a while, and poops in the liter box. So maybe it's be something diet-related? Like something in his regular diet causing inflammation, which is what chicken was doing to Harley.

Hope you find a solution. <3

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, Caelesto :)

Update - we went to the vet, and just got back. The vet managed to get some urine from him, so they tested that while they were at it, and kidneys are working just fine. Yay!

She felt up his abdomen quite a bit again, and said while she didn't feel anything abnormal, it was quite possible that he may have IBS. She gave us a bag of the Hypoallergenic Royal Canin, so we'll feed it exclusively for 4 weeks and see how he does. Yay!

I also put the second litterbox down over the area he's been pooping in....and he's already pooped it it. Yay!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:woohoo: Sounds like we begin to head in the right direction, at any rate! IBS is a real bear, and the earlier you catch it, the better off you are. We have several members whose cats have IBS and/or megacolon, so if that should be the issue, there are experienced members to help you along this journey. If it becomes necessary, I'll flag a couple of them to come here. Early days for that yet, though! Let's pray for food allergies!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update.

I am so glad to hear that there isn't any inflammation.

Given he has gone a lot like this all his life it does seem like it could be a food allergy. I am hoping the new food helps.

It makes sense when his stools are different that he goes outside of the litter box because it is causing him discomfort.

I can see how much you love him. We'll get through this and help you both. As mamanyt1953 says, we are heading in the right direction.

Let's see how the new food goes and work from there. Thank you again for all the love you have for him, he is very lucky to have a loving parent like you!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first moved to Australia, I was concerned that I'd have to find him a new food to like - he'd been on Royal Canin, and I hadn't really researched whether it was available here, but of course I was relieved to find that it is indeed available, so I was very happy!

...and then when he arrived, and I tried feeding him...he turned his little nose up at it! I was flabbergasted (and not a little put out that he was refusing a bag of food I'd spent a good amount of money on! Haha). I ended up feeding him the Fussy Cat brand out here, which he loves. So, I was a little worried he might not like the Hypo food...

But worrying was needless - he absolutely chows down when I put it down for him. I actually think I'll have to be careful to not over-feed! He's at the best weight and body condition of his life, and I'd like to keep it that way!

Anyway, update - he is consistently using the second box for both poops and pees, and luckily, I guess he thinks the walls of the second box are low enough that he doesn't have to lift his tail, so everything is staying in the boxes, and off my carpets. :)

I thank you all for the discussion! It's been very enlightening and I really appreciate it! I'll give an update in 2-3 weeks and let ya'll know if the food was the main cause.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I am so happy to read this.

I am so glad he likes the new food. Let's hope that that is the solution.

Please feel free to contact us anytime. Wishing you both the best!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

We'll be waiting to hear! But don't be a stranger. We're glad to have you back again.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! Back again with an update! ...

So, last time, I talked about how he was no on the Hypo food from Royal Canin, because we suspected he might have food allergies. It's been just over a month and a week, and while there is no longer consistently any blood in his poos, they're still runny and inconsistent, and he vomits food if not once a day, then once every other day. He is still very active and excited about life - plays, runs around, begs for food and eats it, goes potty and poo in the litterboxes, acts concerned when we take showers, etc...but the stool has just not gotten better, and he's vomiting on a regular basis.

About two weeks ago, we finished off the first bag of Hypo food, and since that hadn't helped, the vet and I decided he could try going back to the Fussy cat grain free food while we did a fecal PCR test to test for harder-to-diagnose infections/parasites/etc. THAT WAS A BAD IDEA. Even with having just a literal few kibbles of Fussy Cat in his bowl of Hypo, he had raging bloody diarrhea, all over the carpet right before he could reach his litterbox (I watched him try so hard to make it in time, but he just couldn't) (so yay, that definitely helps to again confirm that the earlier pooping on the carpet was due to pain). So, we immediately cut off the Fussy Cat and returned fully to the Hypo (no treats, either; even one little kibble-treat makes him have blood...).

Took about two weeks to get the results back from the PCR, aaaaaand...it's clean. He doesn't have any of those tested for in that test - Tritrichomonas foetus, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Toxoplasma gondii, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens spp., enterotoxin A gene, feline coronavirus (FeCoV) and feline panleukopenia virus. I was really, really hoping something would come up positive so we could treat for it...

So, the vet gave me the next two options...we could try the Hill's Science Diet stomach food...which I doubt will help, but we'll give it a try once this bag of Hypo gets low... And/or try doing an ultrasound to see if he's got something odd going on in his gut. She briefly thought maybe we could try anti-inflammatory, but with him vomiting regularly, it wouldn't be a good idea. She also tossed out the fact that if we wanted to try to diagnose him for IBS, it would be a surgery and biopsy which would, of course, be very expensive.

I'm a bit at a loss right now. Ultrasound is about $700, and we have my visa coming up soon, which will cost us about $7000, so we're already stressed about money. And since he's still acting "healthy" (beyond the runny stool and vomiting), I'm trying to tell myself that we can just keep him on this food for now and try for an ultrasound after my visa is paid off...

So yeah...I'll probably go start a new thread in the Health subforum...and I'll post a link here so ya'll can find it and contribute there if you wish; I just thought maybe some of you might be interested to see how this "situation" has gone so far. EDIT - nevermind, I'll hold off on posting in the health subforum for now - can't really do anything vet-wise other than changing food, so there's no real use in discussing anything else, I guess. :(

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update.

So he is using his litter box for everything? Other than the other food issue he has not made any mistakes?

If he has been using the litter box then the food must be helping and the discomfort must be easing. And no blood is great. So the food has helped make some progress.

I know what you mean on the PCR test. It would have been nice to have found a cause but it is also nice to hear that he doesn't have any of those issues.

I am impressed with your vet, I think your vet is doing the right thing and asking the right questions. Did the vet do any thyroid tests? And if so, how did it turn out? I would really like to have your cat's thyroid checked not just by feel but with a test. I would like to rule out another thing if possible. It shouldn't be too expensive.

She couldn't feel any inflammation in the intestines etc?

Is he drinking a lot or a "normal" amount (I know it is hard to know). How often does he pee per day?

At least he is using the litter box more often (or all the time) so his discomfort must have decreased. It sounds like the vet has a good idea and a plan. I would continue having a dialogue with the vet on options and also post on teh Health section for ideas. (Some people use pumpkin or Forti Flora etc with differing success).

Also, I don't think this is the issue but cats do take on our emotions so try to be as calm and confident and not stressed as possible. I don't think stress is his issue but it never hurts. And keep up play with him as long as he feels ok to play (check with your vet to make sure he can play). Play helps in a lot of ways.

Thanks again for the update. I am happy to hear there is some progress. He must be feeling better.

Always her for you.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll take baby-steps. And the fact that he is using the box more regularly now seems to indicate that the tummy upset is better, at least. If this issue is food allergies, it is going to take time and patience as you rule things out. I'd go ahead and post in the Health Forum, just to get more ideas from folks who are familiar with food allergies in cats. In fact, I'd consider titling it with something about "possible food allergies?"

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Calicos - Yeah, I'd say he's using the litterboxes for 98% of the time - we did find an odd stool on the carpet this morning...very tiny, almost firm? Dark-coloured as opposed to the usual light-yellow his stools have been on the Hypo food. It actually kind of looked like a clump of hair, like a vomited hairball, but it was definitely stool, and he's actually had another stool like this last week, but it was larger and was in the litterbox. I did mention this bigger hair-stool to the vet on the phone yesterday, and she seemed to think it was odd as well...

I need to ask the vet about thyroid. I'm not sure if it was included in any of the tests we've done already. I'll get back to you on that.

No, she's felt his abdomen several times now for inflammation - really thoroughly, it seemed to me as well, taking her time even though he was being grumpy.

He still doesn't seem to be drinking more or less than usual, and I've been keeping an eye out for dehydration since he's vomiting. We also did a urine analysis just to check kidneys and such, and everything's good there. He does pee 2-3 times a day.

I am planning of picking up more of the probiotics, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get him to eat them since they need to be mixed in, and he won't eat the Hypo if I've added water to it ~_~ I need a wet food, but I'm really loath to try something new that will probably hurt him again...

Mamanyt - Yeah, I know it can take time... :( I guess I just thought that since they Hypo food has no proteins from chicken or beef - he shouldn't be "allergic" to anything in it. I assumed he should get better on it. And I guess, compared to how he was right before we went onto the Hypo, he is technically better, but it's so sad that we can't feed him treats anymore, I can't even leave dishes out after our own dinners (I struggle with my own health to be able to summon the energy to do the dishes after dinner lol) for fear that he'll get a lick of something and have what seemed like stomach cramping. Poor kitty :( But I know you're right, and I'll go ahead and make that forum post in the Health area later...for now I need to go lay down!

Thank you guys again <3

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that he is using the litter box the vast majority of the time. I think that is not only great but a sign he feels better. Less discomfort.

How often is he going? Once sometimes twice a day or more? How is it now vs when he was going outside of the litter box more? Is he going less often now or about the same?

The firm dark stools are different but sometimes it happens. Is it possible the small one of the floor was accidentally kicked out of the litter box? Or it may have stuck to his fur or paw etc. He may not have drank enough water that day. It is tough to know. Let's monitor that.

Very good that she couldn't feel any inflammation. It doesn't mean something isn't going on but it suggests that it might not be too bad (as least right now).

Definitely check the thyroid.

How often is he vomiting? Does the vet have any idea as to why he is vomiting now? It started after the Hypo food? Has he been grooming more lately?

Yeah, I probably would hold off on adding wet food for now (and therefore the probiotic) as he seems to be doing better.

You can use the Hypo food as a treat. I know it is not as fun but it is something. Also, just give him love. I have a cat that has a weight issue and he does not get treats anymore and he adjusted. As long as they get to play or get love and be loved they can be very happy without treats etc.

You are very welcome. I know there is more to do but it sounds like we are making progress and I think the vet has a good handle on the situation. He may just be a cat that has looser stools. As long as he is using the litter box, not losing weight, seems happy then I think it is a situation that is pretty good.

Always here for you, let us know how things go. But I am really glad he is doing better.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he's definitely doing really great about the litterbox - the only little problem that can easily be remedied, is that the stool is still so runny, so sometimes...even when he's in the box, it comes out of him in such force that a bit can splatter juuuust outside the box; but at least he's trying, it's not usually very much of a mess, and a potty pad can fix that right up, poor dear. <3

Regarding frequency, I'd say it's about the same - still having runny stools about 2-4 times a day, usually about the consistency of....actually, I'm struggling to think of a comparison. It's all-over runny, not just runny with bits of solid. Just uniformly runny lol. Bright yellow, like the food.

The dark stools are so weird looking; they really are grey (I've uploaded a pic of him as my avatar), like the main colour of his fur when wet. The one weird, tiny hair-stool we found on the floor yesterday was about 3 feet away from the litterbox - I'm not sure, but I think it might have been a hang-on? But yeah, I'll keep an eye on that.

Vomiting....ahhhhhh! He's vomiting at the least once every other day. It's always bright yellow undigested but chewed food. Usually three vomits per...vomiting session? Haha. I always grab him as soon as I hear the "I don't feeeeel wellllll" raow, and move him to the few kitchen tiles we have for easier cleanup, so I get to see the process and cleanup very well, heh. He has also had the occasional hairball - I think he's had two vomited hairballs in the last month, but I don't count those among the "vomiting count".

We've done the Hypo as treats, and he seems *okay* with it, haha. He'll learn! And we'll definitely still give him lots of love and play <3 I've been "ill" this week, and he's been taking care of me while the hubby is at work. Also, we got married in late October, so I've been hoping that now that everything is finally settling down, he'll be able to settle down too, though he really hasn't seemed stressed - but you're definitely right that they can feel our stress, so maybe he was just hiding what he was feeling, as cats do~

<3