Cat dandruff - how do you deal with it?

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Minnie has to wear a collar, and because of that, she can't reach her back and sides when she's cleaning herself, and that results in dandruff. I gave her a wet-down the other day and scrubbed in some special shampoo from the pet store, but after the fur dried, it was still clumpy. I had to resort to snipping off the clumps because they were so matted. is there any kind of solution that I can apply directly to the fur and skin? Thanks. 

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is a professional cat groomer in your area, they can give your cat a bath and blow dry. They will also de-shed and de-mat your cat. You may already know this, but be very careful if you try to cut away mats. Feline skin is about the same thickness as our own eyelids. Often a cat will not react when you cut the first layer of skin, so you won't know what you've done until some time passes. Over time, the tiny cut you made can split open, leading to a need for stitches. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glencatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If there is a professional cat groomer in your area, they can give your cat a bath and blow dry. They will also de-shed and de-mat your cat. You may already know this, but be very careful if you try to cut away mats. Feline skin is about the same thickness as our own eyelids. Often a cat will not react when you cut the first layer of skin, so you won't know what you've done until some time passes. Over time, the tiny cut you made can split open, leading to a need for stitches. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'll she how she does.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My calico used to have horrid dander. After switching her diet to a completely raw one, her coat is silky, healthy and her skin has good moisture. No more dander!!