Cat Cutting His Face With Dew Claw

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello lovely cat people! As a newbie to having cats, I'm hoping a seasoned pro may be able to offer some advice.
I was adopted by a stray named Carlton last spring. Ever since the first time I saw him, he has always had scars or scratches on his nose. He also used to have watery eyes and redness around the eyes (which I assumed was related), but that has cleared up 100% since he moved indoors. But the scratches have not. He might go a few weeks where the area is inflammation free, with the cuts healed and practically invisible, but then they'll pop up again. On average it happens once a month, give or take. But it has happened twice in the last 2 weeks. At first I thought maybe it was hunting-related or just freak accidents (he does go outside for about a half hour a day), but the other day I observed him grooming himself and realized that his right dew claw moves over that exact spot on the side of his nose when he grooms his right ear. But cats claws retract when they groom themselves, right? Maybe not.
Elderly cats – special considerations | International Cat Care
He isn't a young cat. Also, since he lived outdoors for at least 8-10 years, he might have some sort of injury there that prevents retractions, for all I know.
So what can I do? Removing a claw is supposed to be cruel and could also be dangerous since he still likes to go outdoors. Trimming it would still leave sharp edges, right? (It does on dogs, unless you dremmel)
Unfortunately, his vet always seems entirely uninterested in minutiae like this. My dog's vet, who I trust, is an hour away - too far to take a cat who always messes his crate even on the 10 min trip to his own vet. (Last time he made such a mess the vet had to hose him off)
Also, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm still very nervous about handling cats. It's mostly because I still don't entirely understand them, but it's also because he's bitten a couple neighbors years ago for no apparent reason. (He bit one neighbor moderately hard on the hand, and other one very aggressively on the leg when she was working in the yard. Both neighbors used to feed him.) Add to that the fact that we are still working on building trust, and I just can't see myself trying to glue those soft paws things on his claw constantly. Even flea preventative is enough of a battle for now - he thinks he is being attacked and will run and hide halfway through application. I've never even tried to pick Carlton up, much less mess with his paws!

So should I try taking him to a groomer? Do those soft paws things even work? Do cats tolerate application well? (Don't want to get sued over injuries if they don't!) Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take nail clippers and snip the tip off that claw every now and then. Yes, the claw will still be scratchy if you don't file it (and he probably wouldn't allow that) but it won't have the razor-sharp tip that it has now, and that should prevent him scratching himself.

You might also ask the vet if the cat might have allergies. Usually they won't scratch themselves to the point of injury unless they're really itchy for some reason.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Also, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm still very nervous about handling cats.
No worries about this, not to be embarrassed, the weapons they have are nothing to be taken lightly.

Sometimes the soft paws work - they just need to be glued on correctly, but some cats will chew them off. I don't know if Carlton would do that.

Agreeing with W Willowy and additionally it being shorter may help, would there be any way you could do the claw clipping when your cat is deeply asleep? I had to start that way with my boy - he hated anybody touching his paws but after a time, he's gotten better.

Hang in there!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where the main claws, the forward ones on the foot do retract, the dew claws sometimes do not. Sometimes, due to a fight, getting up or down from a tree, or a panic run, claws become 'sprung' and never retract again.

Clip the tip about once a week. If you approach with favorite treats he will come to look forward to the venture.

If you are afraid, that's all right, it takes awhile not to be, and sometimes even then. Wrap kit in a large towel with just the one arm you need to work on out of it. If you can get a friend to hold him wrapped in the towel even better. Ytube instructions on making a purretto. (the spelling maybe, probably is, wrong.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Yeah, it didn't even occur to me that if it were a bit shorter it might not do as much damage (even if it is still a bit sharp after trimming).

Oh, I probably should have mentioned that I don't think he is itchy or scratching when it happens. I never see him acting itchy. I think he's just doing that thing where they lick their paw and brush it over their top of head and ear to tidy themselves up. It really looks raw, though. Poor guy.

Guess I'll have to summon up the courage and go for it! Cat burrito is a great idea. Do you all think he'll stop trusting me if I do something like that, though?

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a photo. I think this is the worst I've seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
He won't stop trusting you. He might be miffed and say bad things about your ancestry briefly (LOL, just kidding) but he'll get over it.
Ok. Thanks! That was a big worry. I don't want him disappearing out into the snow because he thinks he's being abused or something. I don't mind if he says mean things about me to the neighborhood cats, though. :)

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here's a photo of when it doesn't look as bad. I orignally assumed these were scars from old fights or something.

As another possibility, does anyone know what feline herpes on the face looks like? When I first got him, that is what I thought caused the watery, crusty eyes and the inflamned pinkness around the eyes. The Vet kind of shrugged and sold me l-lysine, which I do try to give him daily (sometimes he's not in the mood for treats). His eyes don't water or get crusty anymore, but maybe this nose thing could be connected?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vets who shrug stuff off usually aren't that good for kitty when you're in there for the long haul.

Have you considered making him a house cat at least until his injury is healed and he's finished the medicine? Some medicines work better if taken every day, some if you miss a day you have to start over. Some affect vision and hearing which would make him more vulnerable in the great outside. You could ask your vet. If he isn't interested in answering, it will tell you a LOT.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I probably do need to look for a new vet. His vet was supposed to be the best around, but I honestly think they are too busy (due to their popularity) to give Carlton their undivided attention. Unfortunately, I've gotten the impression from them and a few other offices that I've called that a cat that has been a stray for as long as he has, and with no medical history, is something of an impenetrable mystery. Maybe they figure I don't want to pay for extensive testing for a stray? I guess I should be clear that he's NO LONGER a stray and I don't mind paying for answers.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep him indoors as much as possible. He still prefers to potty outside if the weather isn't bad, and he will let me know it is time to go out if I am home. Maybe I should pretend I've gone deaf and can't hear him! He probably will go a bit stir crazy, which is why I've been trying to decrease his outdoor time gradually over time. But, maybe it is time to cut him off from his outdoor adventures for a while.

Actually, yesterday he was only outside for about 5 min total and he still managed to get himself in trouble. He leapt off the porch headfirst into a bush, turned around, and jumped back out with a bird in his mouth. Thankfully, the bird played dead so he set it down for long enough for the bird to make a mad dash and fly away. Poor bird. No new scratches on Carlton's face though, so that was good. But this hunting instinct is something I'll probably never get used to with cats. I can only imagine the carnage he inflicted over all those years he was outdoors full-time!

Ok. So, I'll try to keep him indoors 24/7, look for a new vet, and inquire about lactoferrin. Thanks everyone! This is a good place to start!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats also, and mostly hunt mice, voles, shrews and occasionally squirrels. You know the little animals that like to get in your house and chew through the wiring and start fires. These are the prey of preference for cats. Carlton will be able to keep your house safe from the inside.

yep, make clear that you will pay for needed tests, and watch Carlton become the golden boy. ;)

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! :) Will do!

I'll try to give an update on what the new vet thinks it is, in case that will help someone else in the future.

For further reference, this is what his left eye (now the good side of his face) looked like before I adopted him. Sometimes it actually looked worse because it would get crusty, as well as gooey, in the corner. Poor Carlton.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And your current vet wasn't interested in what was wrong with his eye? Bad vet, very bad vet. Good luck on finding the new one. It doesn't matter how 'good' a vet is supposed to be, if he won't look at what's wrong there's no point in him.

You're doing good. You're making progress by leaps and bounds and I'm so happy for Carlton and you.

Carlton's eye does look better.