Cat Cut Her Nose /nostrils? Polysporin?

eduskator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I just noticed that my little Lily has a weird cut on and inside her left nostrils. Not sure what happened nor since when she has that. I thought it was a piece of dirt, but when I tried to remove it, it started bleeding. It does not bleed now, but it does bleed when you ''open'' the cut. I'm avoiding that obviously.

I did put some polysporin inside her nostril and am watching the situation carefully. I sent a picture to a member of my family who's an Vet Assistant and she told me to wash it & apply polysporin.

What do you think? I don't like the wound color. I'll probably bring her to see the vet if things don't get better by Sunday.

Thank you,
Pascal

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Go with the polysporin or even unmedicated Neosporin and just keep an eye on it. My cats knick themselves all the time while roughhousing. Keep your plan of seeing the vet if it isn't better by Sunday. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have a vet check it out.

In using a topical ointment like either of those mentioned above, I would apply it, gently rub it in, and then try to wipe away any excess so that your cat is not able to ingest much of it.

You can also try chamomile tea (grocery store tea bags, German - NOT English, and no additives), brew it, cool the liquid, and dab it on the spot a couple times of day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and it is considered an anti-bacterial. It is also safe if a cat licks it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eduskator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EDIT : It might not be a cut... Hard to tell. It looks infected to me.

Hopefully the polysporin will do the job.

eduskator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should you use an ointment, do read the label. If it contains Polymixin B, it is not safe for some cats. There have been deaths associated with it...not many, to be sure, but why chance it?

eduskator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should you use an ointment, do read the label. If it contains Polymixin B, it is not safe for some cats. There have been deaths associated with it...not many, to be sure, but why chance it?
Is this medically supported? Because I did check on my polysporin and there is Polymixin B in it. the Vetenary Assistant told me to try it. It is not safe if she eats it, or not safe going in her system? I try to put it inside her nose so she can't lick it.

Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Polymixin B Sulfate is in both Neosporin and Polysporin. I am not sure about overall safety, but I think the goal is to wipe away as much as you can so that there is much less to lick.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the article...the reactions are rare, but they are there. Heck, I've used it myself on Hekitty with no issues, before I read this, and may again, since I now know she isn't sensitive to it...But better forwarned than not.

Ask a Vet: Can You Put Neosporin on Cats? | Catster

The information is in the last part of the article.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like I said, I've used it before, and had NO problems. They are rare. And knowing that Hekitty is not sensitive, I may again. I really suggest the chamomile tea. It is both antibacterial and antifungal, so unless there is a deep-seated infection, it should do the trick.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , and I too have used Neosporin (Polysporin is pretty much the same thing) on Feeby (not in her eyes) BUT always wipe off the excess amount.

It's all about the cat and what they can/cannot tolerate - just like humans. For example, one or two uses of Neosporin for a cut/scrape on my husband, no problem. After that it starts irritating his skin. So, he is cautious about using it too much.

It's like we are all guinea pigs to a degree - cats and humans alike. Think of how people find out they are allergic to certain antibiotics (for one, sulfa related -which my mom was) - usually through a 'uh-oh' reaction.