cat crying for wet food, but not wanting it

stacias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Explorer is crying and crying for food, like we don't feed her. She always has dry food and water. We give them wet food twice a day. And when we are putting wet food down she is crying like she is starving. But when down she sniffs it and then looks at me like "this isn't what I wanted" we have tried several types of wet food. We put down both fancy feast and friskes. Any ideas why she is doing this?

melorix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She might just be doing it for the attention. Does she get some dedicated playtime and have toys around when you aren't at home? Are you gone a lot? It might just be a "look at me I am a cute kitty please pay attention to me!" behavior.

However, the strongest suggestion I can give to you is not to give in to her crying. Put the food down when it is time to do so -- not before, not after, no matter how much she whines. She thinks if she's persistent enough, she will get her way. My cats cry at me constantly when it's close to feeding time, but I keep to a pretty strict feeding schedule and they don't beg for snacks.