Cat crying after using litter?

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! My kitty had a FUS last week and he's back home. However, I've been noticing the past two days that he has been crying after he has gone pee. He isn't straining or anything, but I'm concerned. Should I be worried? I'm wondering if the litter box could be an issue too. Thanks!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
How is your boy doing now?  It's been awhile since you wrote - I'm sorry you didn't get a reply sooner.   If he's still crying, it's worth a call to the vet to see if he needs to come back in. Since it's the weekend, that might not be possible but sometimes a call to an emergency can set your mind at ease.   The fact that he's urinating normally is a good sign but  he really shouldn't be in pain. Was he blocked and treated with a catheter?  If so, the catheter itself irritates the urethral walls and causes sensitivity so that might be the problem.  Either way, double check with the vet.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your boy doing now?  It's been awhile since you wrote - I'm sorry you didn't get a reply sooner.   If he's still crying, it's worth a call to the vet to see if he needs to come back in. Since it's the weekend, that might not be possible but sometimes a call to an emergency can set your mind at ease.   The fact that he's urinating normally is a good sign but  he really shouldn't be in pain. Was he blocked and treated with a catheter?  If so, the catheter itself irritates the urethral walls and causes sensitivity so that might be the problem.  Either way, double check with the vet.  
He chirped this morning after using the litter so I called the vet. My vet is open on weekends which is nice. Thanks for the apology by the way.

He was treated with a catheter, yes. The vet didn't see my cat but I got some medication for him. He is on tramadol and bethanechol right now. He's on a prescription diet as well. So I'm hoping that will help him! He is otherwise fine and is eating. I have to force him to drink some days considering he wants to drink out of all the water bowls in the house for the dogs.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you got some meds for him.  I hope they take care of his pain quickly, poor guy.  Lack of hydration is definitely associated with urinary tract problems in cats so it's good you're getting him to drink.  If you're feeding him canned food, you can add some water to it- this will help him stay hydrated.  What is it about the dogs' water bowls?  Will he not drink out of his own?  He has a mind of his own, huh?   He might like a fountain although I'm not sure how you would keep the dogs from using it as well.   

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm trying my best! He hasn't had his pain pill yet because he didn't eat it. I'm going to use a different method tonight. The other one is huge so I need to get pill pockets! I'll add some water to his wet food. I thought he threw it up last night but the food looks like icky puke. It caught me off guard because my roommate fed him. Yep, TK has a mind of his own! He's picky about water. I have a water bowl as well as a water fountain downstairs in my room for him. Plus he drinks out of the dogs' water dish as well as the toilet. He needs about 10 water bowls in my house. :lol3:

I'm wondering if maybe the pain is also from his litter too. He is using arm and hammer. I'm not sure if litter can cause pain to cats either.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Pilling a cat is definitely no fun!  Were you able to get the pill pockets?  My cats only fell for those the first time and after that spit them out.    You might find this thread interesting - it has a lot of good ideas for getting a pill into a cat.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313723/how-do-i-get-my-cat-to-take-a-pill

I'd be surprised if the litter is the problem but there are soft litters recommended for use after operations.  For a quick experiment, try some shredded newspaper.  If this does the job than you know it's time to change litters.  

How is TK doing today?  BTW:  Is that TK in your avatar?  He's really beautiful.  

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I I'll give that and a look and try the newspaper idea! I really appreciate it.
Yes, that is TK in my avatar! Thank you.
TK cried this morning after using the litter (he doesn't bury it I notice). Other that I've been leaving him to his own when he's in the litter because I get upset and it probably stresses him when I'm in the room. Other then the litter issue, he's fine! He's playing, snuggling, running around. :)

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TK is doing okay. He hasn't actually cried since he's been on the medication. This morning he did a sort of "wow!" meow after having a mega pee! I think the medicine is helping :)

margd

Veteran
Purraise
This is great news!  I'm so glad to hear he's doing better.  

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! He seems to be doing a lot better (even my roommate said that). He's going for urine check in a week so hopefully it will.