Cat Coughing

Frufru1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I've tried to upload a video of my cat coughting but it's too heavy even the shorter ones. He is coughing for about 3 months now and more frequently. In january it was a few times a week and now in march it's minimum like twice a day. Normally he coughs as if he wants to throw out something, occasionally nose fluid jump out of his nose ( throat and mouth looks fine). My vet reconmended a hairball paste but it's not hairballs for sure after trying it so many times and brushing him twice a day or more. I've posted the x-ray which seems to show it's not asthma either or else you'd appearently see donut and tramway shapes on the lung airways. My vet said it could be a parasite so stronghold 45 mg was administered. Not sure if it works for lungworms. I just really hope this is not heartworms, worst case scenerio... He does catch wild birds and eat it sometimes but heartworms would be mosquitoes which aren't around in january or december. I feel I was scammed when going to the Vet cause the doctor said in Portugal there are no heartworms and didn't mention lungworms ( stronghold which I later administered the second dose appears to not work on lungworms too ). Should I bet it's lungworms and go to a different vet in hopes stool analysis finds larvea for lungworns? He never coughed 4 months ago and he is 3 years old now coughing every single day. Everything excepts this coughting, he acts perfectly healthy and wants to eat a lot and run. It's suppose to not be allergy either because nothing has changed in 2 years
doc.jpg
not even the food.

Thank you

Carolyn C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try steamed bathroom with the shower head running
on Hot, seat on the toilet it your cat rubbing the back
Cats are like little children (you do the same).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Given the history of coughing that your poor kitty has, I would definitely try for a second opinion. It has gone on for three months, certain remedies like hairball ointment have not worked. As for the prevalence of heartworm or lungworm in Portugal, can you find any local information regarding that? I am not in Portugal, but have to wonder if both parasites are found there, which would mean that your suspicions could be correct.

Don't go to a different vet at the same practice. Find another vet at another hospital or even a cat clinic if you can.