Cat coughing for over 1 minute!

toriallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help! My 10 year old exotic Persian male cat has these coughing fits twice a week and they last up to a minute or longer. I have a video this time just because I caught him coughing. It's 45 seconds long. Around 3 years ago he has a mild case of bronchitis but they said that it just needs to be monitored at his yearly checkups. Nothing has come up since. Could this be something worse? Idk why I can't upload it on here. If you know how please tell me!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Have you showed the video to your vet? What diagnostics have been done? Have you sought out the opinion of another vet at a different clinic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toriallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I actually just took the video before posting this forum thread so tomorrow I'm calling the vet. They have given him steroids 3 years ago for the bronchitis and that seemed to help but since then we give him kids dye free Benedryl because we think it's allergy related. Most of the time we just let him cough but console him afterwards (obviously!) I just hate this!

toriallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have done X-rays on him and saw his alveolar sacs were swollen and they ruled that as bronchitis. Then they gave him steroids for inflammatory purposes. We keep our house clean, cats up to date on shots, indoor only cat, natural organic food only. Idk what else to do

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If he hasn't had x-rays recently, that's where I would start.

This being a chronic issue, I would suspect asthma.

Do you notice improvement with the Benadryl? This isn't likely to have the same affect as steroids when thinking about bronchial inflammation.

toriallen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do notice improvement with the benedryl but only for a day or two. He hasn't gotten X-rays recently so I'll bring that up tomorrow when I call. Im really adamant when it comes to getting X-rays done on myself or anyone. I don't mind them. So if they don't suggest it, I'm definitely going to advise it and make them haha! This is my child!