Cat continues to hiss at sibling home from vet

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three cats who are all littermates and usually get along well. I had to take my one boy into the vet on Thursday because he was vomiting and dehydrated. When I got back from the vet, the other male started hissy and striking at him. It is now the third day and this is still occuring. In the past this type of behavior only lasted 24 hours max after a vet visit. The agressive male is actually charging at the other cat. The cat that went to the vet is the more docile of the two. I am worried that this might become permanent. The hissy kitty is even hissing at me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the vanilla trick. Put a dot of cooking vanilla (not perfume) on the nose and root of tail of all three cats. This makes them all smell the same, and will reduce the stress the he is feeling over the strange smelling cat who used to be his sibling. Cats go by sense of smell on everything.

This can become a permanent problem for some cats, so plan on in future always using the vanilla, before you even release whichever cat has been to the vet, out of the carrier.