Cat Constipation Question

auntkitty33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw another old thread on this site and read through many of the replies regarding this topic. I am trying to help a relative who has an older cat with severe, recurring constipation.

She has been to the vet (multiple times), endured enemas, tried all the"natural things (milk, canned pumpkin, oil, grass, Renal K, Miralax, and others).

Currently on Lactulose, increasing dose to 2 ml 2x daily, and may try Cipramide (?) which targets the small intestine, while Lactulose works in the colon.

I already had experience with our own cat who had Megacolon. This is starting to feel a lot like that, but the colon is not expanded and poops are narrow and dry.

What I would like to know whether anyone used RENAL K for potassium and if that helped? Or COSEQUIN/glucosamine (which actually caused some diarrhea in one of my own cats); or SLIPPERY ELM; or PROBIOTICS??

I'm beginning to wonder whether she may have a small pouch in her intestines where things are collecting and causing the blockage in the early part of the intestine which cannot move through the system. I know there can be such things as intestinal hernias even in humans. We will probably inquire with the vet on this as a possibility.

BUT IF ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OF THE ITEMS I INQUIRED ABOUT, PLEASE COMMENT. Also any other tips, please comment or add those as well. She gets plenty of liquid, as well.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Miralax is something that gets recommended. Benefiber/psyllium husk too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluekittyandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had chronic constipation due to NEVER drinking water :(. Sounds like this is not your cat’s issue, though. If it could help, fountains may help. Also freezing chicken broth into ice cube trays, giving a cube a day to drink. Wet canned food only for kitty. Raw food diet may help, but I don’t know much about this, only to know you have to get the right vitamins and minerals from a few products to add. Raw canned pumpkin helps my cat a lot, but he only wants the first few spoonfuls out of a can before he deems it “not fresh”. I’ve gone through all sorts of methods to preserve ir (freezing. Multiple ziploc bags, etc. He can tell if a can has been opened 1+ days). Now I order the Weruva Pumpkin PatchUp! treat pouches. I don’t like pouches generally due to the packaging waste to the planet - but I have to make an exception for the cat at times. He loves these. Half a packet a day helps him a lot with hard poops. It also has coconut oil blended in. We also give one chewy probiotic treat daily. Zero dry treats or kibble. Any brand probiotic soft treat seems fine. Side note: My cat cries out a lot before he poops, and I’ve read it’s because he feels unsafe. We literally go STAND BY THE BOX, and he will finally poop. I leave a light on for him in case he needs to go at night. Others I’ve read say that’s why cats want into the bathroom with us humans - they’re protecting us from danger, as we are vulnerable (they think!). Either way, we do whatever we can for our fella, who has always had constipation or diarrhea. I hope you find something that works for this cat soon. Must be very painful. Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's been many posts on this site about lactulose not working or not working well for many cats.

Most of those owners switch to Miralax or Restorilax (same thing different names), unflavored and dissolved before added to food. The average 10 lb cat starts with 1/4 tsp twice a day and then gets tapered down somewhere in-between of 1/4 tsp every other day and 1/8 tsp every other day.

As long as you are dissolving it completely before food there is very very very little chance of it increasing constipation or dehydration. It is perfectly safe long term.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm beginning to wonder whether she may have a small pouch in her intestines where things are collecting and causing the blockage in the early part of the intestine which cannot move through the system. I know there can be such things as intestinal hernias even in humans. We will probably inquire with the vet on this as a
it’s doubtful. In people pouches develop in the large intestine after being digested in the small intestine. With cats they develop in the esophagus which is pre-digestion, so food either comes back up or gets caught up in the chest area, so if it’s dislodged it’ll will go through the digestion process. You’ve personally had experience with Megacolon, it’s pretty rare though and the symptoms are a lot more chronic. Is your friend actually monitoring her fluid intake? A cat needs about half a pint of water per day. is she eating dry or wet food? If she’s eating wet food and drinking plenty of water and the vet rules out a blockage, he may consider it’s neurological.