Cat Cone After Catheter

Twinboys14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, recently had own of my cats in the ER to remove a blockage and is now home doing great. However he has a cone and he isn’t a fan and we feel bad because he can’t get comfy. He’s had his catheter out for a little over 2 days now. Is he able to have his cone off yet and lick his privates when needed?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did the discharge orders say about how long the cone needed to stay on? You can always look at getting a different type of cone. There are some that are like pillows around their necks that look so much more comfy. Something like this

1602198470705.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinboys14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They said around a week but they didn’t seem very strict. Not sure what the complications could be? I know it’s not great if he’s biting around his privates and we haven’t let him lick that at all because we don’t want to complicate his recovery. Wasn’t sure if there are cats that don’t wear a cone and come out just fine after a few weeks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinboys14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other thing is his twin brother hates it and I’m assuming it will take some time before the two become best buds again but we are afraid that with the cone on he won’t be able to clean himself and make his scent not smell like the hospital. Any advice there?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's fairly easy to watch cats when you are awake and in the same room with them, but can you put it back on him when you are sleeping, just to make sure he doesn't bother with the stitches (if there are any) I've never had a cat block, so don't actually know what happens afterwards to know if there are stitches or not. You might ask the Vet what happens if you take the cone off.

As to his scent and your other cat, try brushing both of them and not cleaning out the brush. That will transfer the scent from one to the other. Do that several times. Really get the brush around their chin, cheeks and the base of their tail where there are scent glands. I have used this technique before when one of mine has gone to the Vet for just a checkup and the other didn't go along. Works pretty well. Stopped the hissing and growling.