Cat Collars That Wont Get Caught In A Cats Mouth?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20170902_210107(1).jpg
i used the above collar for a few months, she would get it caught in her mouth. the last time she bled, as you can see on the collar.

i tried using a beastie bands collar as a user here suggested it to me. she seems comfortable, but she got it caught in her mouth within 24 hours.

i measure collars by fitting in two fingers. is that okay? is there another collar i can use that she cant get over her mouth?

i need her to wear a collar because her food plate is chip activated. i have thought about chipping her, but hate the thought of causing her pain.

are there any other collar types that i can try that she cant get stuck in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should try a break-away w/ a GPS locator.
I have the www.loc8tor.com
I chose it because it was the lightest on the market at the time.
i have an indoor cat, so i dont really worry about her getting lost. she used to be an outdoor cat, she walked in and refused to leave. lol

i just dont want any collar to hurt her. are breakaway collars harder to get stuck in the mouth?

chrissycollete

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every collar I have ever tried on any cat.....never stays on. I gave up. Good thing are break away, but the cats like to break them away!

sidhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a friendship collar for my cat because the idea is too cute to resist (kitty gets a collar, you get a matching bracelet) and it's made out of a very soft vegan leather, so even it does get caught in her mouth, she might be able to chew her way out, and I don't think it would cut into her mouth the way that collar did. It's expensive though, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it unless you're ok with it not working for her (hey, at least you'd get a cool bracelet?).

I'm going to be completely honest, at this point I think microchipping or getting a different food dish would be best. I know you hate the thought of causing her pain, but a second of needle poking is probably a lot less uncomfortable in the long run than chewing at her collars.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Microchipping is done in a matter of seconds, and it's rare for cats/kittens to react with more than a flinch. Since she's already managed to catch collars in her mouth, it would be safer and have the added advantage of IDing her if she ever gets lost and found.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Kitty Convict collars are the only ones that have worked with my two cats. Microchipping is also necessary -- if a shelter takes your cat in, there's more of a chance that you'll be notified. But the collar has the cat's name and my phone number on it -- there are no guarantees either way, but I think that two forms of security are better than one, and one is better than none.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, i think im just going to go with microchipping. my cat was able to eat with the pink collar for a year, but she would get it off from time to time and not eat for 24 hours.

i cant change the feeder, because my other cat inhales her food, and would eat Elsas food without hesitation.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy used to the the same thing with collars, tug at the adjustable part until the collar loosens up then he gets the buckle into his mouth and chews it open :doh: He wears a non-adjustable puppy collar now :paperbag: Actually when I bought it, it was labeled as a cat collar but it looks like the company has now discontinued this particular collar for cats. I have never had an issue with a non-adjustable collar but every cat and home is different so use your best judgement. For most cats and homes, a safety cat collar is best.

View attachment 194642

i need her to wear a collar because her food plate is chip activated. i have thought about chipping her, but hate the thought of causing her pain.

I don't think there are any microchips for feeders that can be implanted into a cat. The only microchips available are the ones that helps your cat find its way home should it wind up far away from home.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leroy used to the the same thing with collars, tug at the adjustable part until the collar loosens up then he gets the buckle into his mouth and chews it open :doh: He wears a non-adjustable puppy collar now :paperbag: Actually when I bought it, it was labeled as a cat collar but it looks like the company has now discontinued this particular collar for cats. I have never had an issue with a non-adjustable collar but every cat and home is different so use your best judgement. For most cats and homes, a safety cat collar is best.

I don't think there are any microchips for feeders that can be implanted into a cat. The only microchips available are the ones that helps your cat find its way home should it wind up far away from home.
=) i used a surefeed feeder. it seals food airtight, so i leave out wet food all day. it doesnt keep it cold, just airtight. it reacts to microchips (that helps cat find their way home) or a tag with some kind of chip inside it. so yes, the feeder reacts to microchips.

my concern with the puppy collar, is what if my cat gets out? and gets choked while fighting another cat or climbing a tree? she once ran outside to fight off a cat that was outside our home. lolol

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have an indoor cat, so i dont really worry about her getting lost. she used to be an outdoor cat, she walked in and refused to leave. lol

i just dont want any collar to hurt her. are breakaway collars harder to get stuck in the mouth?
Haha, what I meant for the GPS is since you'd have a break-away, if it ever got lost, you could find it.
If your cat ever tugged on it hard enough it would break at the buckle.
If you decide to get one w/ GPS, you should try the collar only @ first incase your cat tries to get it off quickly.

freeradicals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a similar problem going on- cat either chews through the collar, or breaks it away intentionally. The only solution might be a non-break away collar (e.g., buckle) and tough material. But I keep hearing non-break away can be dangerous, though he's an indoor cat.

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, non-break away is dangerous.
My 2 cats are microchipped.
They were done this automatically when they went to the shelter so I guess that made it easy to not make them go through pain haha.
But I'm glad that they are and I would've chosen for them to get chipped anyway.
It just gives you peace of mind if they ever get lost.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, what I meant for the GPS is since you'd have a break-away, if it ever got lost, you could find it.
If your cat ever tugged on it hard enough it would break at the buckle.
If you decide to get one w/ GPS, you should try the collar only @ first incase your cat tries to get it off quickly.
thanks for the help =) i think im just going to chip elsa, so she wont need to be uncomfortable and wear a collar.

im just nervous about it hurting her. im hoping they can numb the skin up a bit or something. even worse im getting her chipped with a new vet, since my vet moved away =(