cat collars and bells cruel?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what, that makes a lot of sense.  I was told that Katy was a feral, pregnant, taken in off the streets by a nice couple, had her kittens and then she was taken to the shelter to be adopted. They never mentioned what happened to her kittens, whether they kept some or surrendered them to the shelter as well.  Now I have clarification.  I suspected what you said kntygrl256 was the case.  Thanks for that clarification.  Again, the "Call of the Wild" gets in them, unfortunately for us. 

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have an indoor cat that sneaks out whenever he gets a chance. He wears a collar with two tags (rabies tag and tag with my contact info) and is also microchipped. One of his tags says "Indoor Cat" so people will know that he shouldn't be roaming around unattended outside.

Last edited:

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My four cats all wear collars, and their collars have bells and a tag with their name and address on. They are also microchipped, I find collars are an easy way to tell straight away that a cat already owns a human. My cats have never had a problem with wearing a bell on their collar. Theyre fine as long as they are the safety ones.

My cats do sometimes go outside when a door is opened-Socks more often than the others, maybe because she was raised that way, but the other three were little kittens and still smelled of someone's home when they turned up one day, and have all been out for a bit, but prefer to stay in and will just sit on the stairs and look at the open door. They are not allowed out at night (if I do open the door to take out the trash or something, I close the door to the rooms they are in), except for the occasional walk on a leash out in the dark.

One of my cats lost her collar the other day, so she picked it up in her mouth and brought it over to me to put it back on. Maybe that means she likes the collar?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My four cats all wear collars, and their collars have bells and a tag with their name and address on. They are also microchipped, I find collars are an easy way to tell straight away that a cat already owns a human. My cats have never had a problem with wearing a bell on their collar. Theyre fine as long as they are the safety ones.

My cats do sometimes go outside when a door is opened-Socks more often than the others, maybe because she was raised that way, but the other three were little kittens and still smelled of someone's home when they turned up one day, and have all been out for a bit, but prefer to stay in and will just sit on the stairs and look at the open door. They are not allowed out at night (if I do open the door to take out the trash or something, I close the door to the rooms they are in), except for the occasional walk on a leash out in the dark.

One of my cats lost her collar the other day, so she picked it up in her mouth and brought it over to me to put it back on. Maybe that means she likes the collar?
Little sweetheart.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shock collars - cruel

Non break away collars - can be dangerous if kitty gets out or caught on something

Break aways - acceptable, I  have mine wear them sometimes. I don't understand how it's cruel when it identifies your animal as a pet and not a stray if they get out, and can hold tags with contact info and proof of rabies shot, because people don't always think to check for a chip, and some people will keep kitty until they find the owner. Many people actually.

Mine don't mind it at all, and bells can be helpful for strictly indoor cats IMO so you know where they are if there's an emergency. I take bells off of mine though.

Above all else, chip your cat, but if it's standard for dogs to wear a collar, why not cats? 

My cats are strictly indoors (Though I am training one on a harness) and if something happens, collars are the easiest and most identifiable way of knowing a cat is a pet and not feral.

Plus, for people with similar looking cats, collars are good for telling them apart, especially if one needs medication and someone who is not the owner (a daily pet sitter perhaps) has to give it. The collar can tell them apart.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Shock collars - cruel

Non break away collars - can be dangerous if kitty gets out or caught on something

Break aways - acceptable, I  have mine wear them sometimes. I don't understand how it's cruel when it identifies your animal as a pet and not a stray if they get out, and can hold tags with contact info and proof of rabies shot, because people don't always think to check for a chip, and some people will keep kitty until they find the owner. Many people actually.

Mine don't mind it at all, and bells can be helpful for strictly indoor cats IMO so you know where they are if there's an emergency. I take bells off of mine though.

Above all else, chip your cat, but if it's standard for dogs to wear a collar, why not cats? 

My cats are strictly indoors (Though I am training one on a harness) and if something happens, collars are the easiest and most identifiable way of knowing a cat is a pet and not feral.

Plus, for people with similar looking cats, collars are good for telling them apart, especially if one needs medication and someone who is not the owner (a daily pet sitter perhaps) has to give it. The collar can tell them apart.

This tabby cat used to hang around my yard. She actually had a harness on her, but no tags. But the harness let me know she most likely belonged to someone in the neighborhood so i didn't try to take her in. I would just play with her and I fed and watered her a little if she wanted. This black cat would follow her around and he didn't have collar so I did eventually take him in. He had been neutered and de-clawed, but not micro-chipped. I never saw any flyers or anything about him being missing. I've had him for 5 years. Only once in the 8 years I've lived in my house, have I seen a flyer about a missing pet and it was for a small dog. It could be that there haven't been that many missing pets or it could be that neighbors just haven't put up any flyers.

My 3 cats are indoors and wear break-away bell collars. The tinkle lets me know what direction a cat is in when it's playing or getting into something. They don't make noise when they're just walking or sleeping or even using the litter box. And since I do have 2 black male cats that look a lot alike, I color code their collars. The rescue wears green and the resident wears orange, yellow or gold. The rescue does need medicine and different food than the other 2 for his ckd so being able to identify him would be helpful if I ever needed a pet sitter.

dot mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like cats. Have had indoor cats. Understand feeding and caring for feral cats. My daughter does in Ca. Hers were trapped, neutered, ear clipped and released. The current bonded pair roam a bit but keep her yard free of other feral cats. She does feed them.
I have recently through documentaries be came aware of the growing numbers of feral cat enclave that people support. They even build shelters in public spaces. There are concerns that unwanted pets are being dumped at these sites. One site is very close to the breeding area of a endangered shore bird.
I have also become aware of the very worrying decline of songbirds. Part of the cause is feral cats and house cats who spend time roaming free. Yes belling has proplems. And I know in an attempt to stabilize or eventually cut down on feral population some cats are neutered.
Feeding may help to decrease Some attacks on birds but domestic type cats feral or not like to hunt. So if not bells what?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Like cats. Have had indoor cats. Understand feeding and caring for feral cats. My daughter does in Ca. Hers were trapped, neutered, ear clipped and released. The current bonded pair roam a bit but keep her yard free of other feral cats. She does feed them.
I have recently through documentaries be came aware of the growing numbers of feral cat enclave that people support. They even build shelters in public spaces. There are concerns that unwanted pets are being dumped at these sites. One site is very close to the breeding area of a endangered shore bird.
I have also become aware of the very worrying decline of songbirds. Part of the cause is feral cats and house cats who spend time roaming free. Yes belling has proplems. And I know in an attempt to stabilize or eventually cut down on feral population some cats are neutered.
Feeding may help to decrease Some attacks on birds but domestic type cats feral or not like to hunt. So if not bells what?
Welcome to TCS!

Not to get off topic, but there's a fairly new type of collar (without a bell) that supposedly does reduce avian mortality:

Rainbow cat collars may save birds

Birds be safe: Can a novel cat collar reduce avian mortality by domestic cats (Felis catus)?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

tinatalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of my life I've had cats; (I'm 57!) all have worn collars with bells.Hasn't fazed any of them. I like to know where they are and it helps.  I go with an all elastic collar, because they stay on better than the quick release, which release a little too quickly, IMO. I've even made my own out of sewing elastic. My current two are indoor, and still manage to catch mice. My last outdoor girl was able to catch birds; much to my chagrin she even brought a live one in through the kitty door. That was an adventure catching that and releasing back outside. So I say, bells and collars are owner preference, it doesn't harm the cat in any way.

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats over the years and all of them have worn a collar, whether they were indoors or outdoors.  Not only does the collar show that the cat belongs to someone, but they are also useful in identifying what cat is outdoor/indoor.  I have used those Beastie Bands collars and love them.  They are customized to any cats neck, come in cool prints, glow in the dark, and are soft where they wrap around a cats neck.  They also stretch in case the cat gets caught up in something and needs to break free.  Whenever I obtain a new kitten or adult cat, they always have a collar put on them first thing, so they get used to it.  I even put collars on kittens that I do hand-raising for a local animal shelter when they get a bit older, so they get used to the feel of a collar and won't balk if their new owner puts one on them.

I don't use bells at all, because most of the cats I have had just try to play with the bell on their collar.  I do keep an ID tag on the collar and my current cat, Angie, is also microchipped.

Jessie

ralph runge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an indoor only maine coon that has a breakaway collar with a small bell. We went with the bell for our own safety so we know when the cat is about to dive between our legs or about to trip us down the stairs. I've wondered if the bell is detrimental to the cat but conversely, my 325 lb mass stepping on or kicking the cat across the room is likely to be more detrimental than a little bell. She doesn't seem to be adversely affected by the bell. Our bell is for everyone's safety, cat included.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We have an indoor only maine coon that has a breakaway collar with a small bell.... She doesn't seem to be adversely affected by the bell. Our bell is for everyone's safety, cat included.
Our very first Siamese, William, was belled when we saw him looking at the bird's tray.  That afternoon we went shopping and when we returned there was a Robin's head on the front door mat. William still wore the collar and bell.  So much for the bell!

With regards,

Geoffrey

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None of my cats have bells on their collars, but all 3 wear 2 tags that jingle when the walk or run, the same as a bell would.

They are also all indoor cats, but 1 of them is very curious about the outdoors and has even gotten out once before we made him wear a collar. Thankfully we found him and kept him inside until we could get a collar and tags on him.

And for me, a person who lives in an area that is not so kind a place for cats to be (large preditors, and a very busy road just 60 feet out the door), keeping them inside is the best thing for me to do. Many of my neighbors are kind to animals and will feed/care for them if they seem lost. But a lost cat with a collar is significantly more likely to be returned home than a cat with no visible identification.

The jingling noise from the tags doesn't seem to bother them, and I think they look cute in their collars ! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally have a collar on all of my cats (except my 2 Ragdolls usually because they're show cats). If someone is going to travel or to the vet, etc then their collars are always on. All but one of my cats is long haired/semi longhaired so the bells don't 'ring' a lot. I also keep a bell on my Persian (she is blind in both eyes) so I know where she is at night without stepping on her.

I don't believe in micro chipping. The average cat owner does not have a chip scanner and to the eye, the cat outside is a stray with no collar. But that's my opinion. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The average person doesn't have a scanner, but most animal shelters do. Having a chip could save a cat from euthanasia if they were picked up and taken to a shelter.

Chips are also a great option for natural disasters. Lots of cats rounded up after tornadoes and hurricanes never make it home. Tags and collars can easily get lost and chips are permanent.

I do both microchipping and collars/tags for my cats.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We have an indoor only maine coon that has a breakaway collar with a small bell.... She doesn't seem to be adversely affected by the bell. Our bell is for everyone's safety, cat included.
Our very first Siamese, William, was belled when we saw him looking at the bird's tray.  That afternoon we went shopping and when we returned there was a Robin's head on the front door mat. William still wore the collar and bell.  So much for the bell!

With regards,

Geoffrey

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In New South Wales it is compulsory for all cats to be chipped.  I am not sure whether it is compulsory for all the other Australian States but it is certainly encouraged. 

Incidentally the only reason why I don't put a collar on my cat, Sukie, is that she won't let me!

With regards,

Geoffrey

nanarow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12week old kittens are wearing bells atm whirl they at in the house because I know where they are we have found it alot easier to find them as we hear the bell it can take rather a long time to look for them when they love to hide in all sorts of strange places but when they go outside the bells will be removed because I belive they should be allowed to do what comes naturally and hunt their mummy does not have a bell but i can easily have shares in the cat collar companies we go through at least 10 12 a month with the safety quick release collars but worth every penny each and every collar as we have a fab time ripping open the paper ... don't put a bell on your baby because she needs to hunt and be the cat she is ment to be my marshmallow and Frodo baggins bring me gifts daily and i would so Miss them !!!!!!!mm did I just say that lol xx a dead mouse or live one she isn't fussy but it is a gift for me caught with love and i watch her catch them as we have our field right outside our back door and she has so much fun

defleppard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 3 cats all have collars w/bells & are chipped. Collars are visible to others & I feel if my cat were annoying to someone, they're more apt to leave them alone if they know my kitties have a home. All 3 cats hunt (very successfully) mice, baby voles, & birds. The bell doesn't ring much unless they run.
I consider it unfair & sorta cruel to make a cat stay indoors, unless you're in a big city. Cats need fresh air & nature. I have gardens & am outside a lot; they follow me & sleep in the gardens or wherever. Do they wander? Of course. We make them come in at night. During the day, they can choose to be in or out. Exception: if it's too hot or cold, i make them stay in.
My 1 cat- we tried making him stay in for 3 days a few times. He got very depressed. I think nature's sounds & nature in general is good for them (real nature!), as it is people.
Do i risk losing my furbabies earlier, bcuz they might get hit, etc. Yes. But, i would rather let them live at their happiest than not, then them behind walls/windows. It's like being in a jail. I can't do that to my kitties.
P.S. We live in a fairly small town of about 3,000; neighbors know we have cats; this isn't a busy traffic area. I also keep several dishes of water in my gardens for them.