cat collar too tight? not my cat

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you asking how can you tell if he already had the rabies vaccine? You can get him titered, it's basically a blood test to look for antibodies for rabies. Although if he is younger than the age they recommend getting rabies at they will probably just assume he hasn't been vaccinated for it. As for him being fixed for not, they can palpate him to check. One of my kittens I adopted I had the vet double check and she palpated him to be sure he had been neutered before I got him and he had been. 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd just have him vaccinated. The chances of him having been vaccinated already are very slim, and titers cost a lot. I'm totally against overvaccinating, but I always have new strays fully vaccinated. Since I don't do repeat vaccinations I figure it can't hurt them too badly.

So, yeah, at the first checkup I'd have them: scan for a microchip; give FVCRP and rabies shots; test for FeLV and FIV; de-worm (including for tapeworms); treat for fleas/earmites (if necessary); and check to see if he's neutered. Then if he's not you can make the appointment to have him neutered. And you might want to have him microchipped, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will bring it in this week. The cat has only 4 teeth as he is still young. 6 or 7 mos. Poor cat needs better feeding and to be loved. He doesn't understand why is has to be outside. Its terrible how irresponsible people are. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a gorgeous cat try to move   in with me a few years back...about 8months old. we called him kittencat, thought he was a stray. no collar, and flea infested.  I was all set to adopt him, even treated his fleas.....turns out he was owned by a neighbour across the street and a few houses down. I'm not saying don't adopt him, but at least put up posters and let his owner come forward if he has one......he may be missed if he's not allowed to come home.....he might be an indoor/outdoor who really likes you and comes to visit because you're a kind soul. Kitten cat would have made a great pet, but he was not mine to keep, nor was he stray.......please check first, yours may not be stray either

daisy the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Newport Beach, California http://www.facebook.com/
sorry again, my feelings about it are the same. anyone who acts in a abusive way doesn't even diserve the cat. that collar, no id tag, outdoors, hungry. bring the baby in and keep it. i'd take it immediately in and get it microchipped so if there were any disputes, it legally is your cat. i have encountered animals that were not taken care of before. i t and r any one that is in my yard that is not fixed. that's my story and i'm stick'n to it...

it's young and diserves to start out with a good mom!

tobyj2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some people just do not deserve to have pets. I think the kitty went to you for help because he/she could see you as a nice person. Cats are good like this. It was obviously in distress with the tight collar and I don't see why it was necessary to have the flea collar as well. If the real owners don't really care seek to adopt him/her. Cats deserve to be happy and healthy just like people.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd take it immediately in and get it microchipped so if there were any disputes, it legally is your cat.
You can do that, but reading through this thread, I see the OP hasn't taken the cat to the vet yet, so for all we know there could already be a microchip in the cat.