Cat Chow - Confused.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Huh, I've always found PetCo to be very overpriced, IMO, (Petsmart usually has better prices for food) and Target to be higher priced in general than Wal-Mart, though not by much. Funny how that's different in other areas of the country.
I just got a 5ish lb bag of Wellness Healthy Weight for $4 as it was "priced to sell" in Petco.....so you never know what you may find.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Great, thanks. I will get the naturals next time. I can't find the Chicken and Rice Purina One ANYWHERE anyway. Grocery store, PetCo, PetSmart, everyone's always out, so forget chasing that down. I will go after the naturals. <3 Thanks again
if you have access to a Petsmart, their Authority brand is good value for the money - about $1 a pound... &, IMO a better quality food than cat chow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if you have access to a Petsmart, their Authority brand is good value for the money - about $1 a pound... &, IMO a better quality food than cat chow.
Hmm, here Authority dry costs around $26 for a 16-pound bag. Not the most expensive but not really a good price for the quality, IMO. I suppose it would be a good choice if your only shopping option is Petsmart, but independent feed stores usually have better foods for a better price.

Yeah, I've found good clearance deals at PetCo, but their regular prices are high. Just for comparison, they charge $16.99 for a 16-pound bag of Cat Chow, which costs $11.99 at Wal-Mart.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Hmm, here Authority dry costs around $26 for a 16-pound bag. Not the most expensive but not really a good price for the quality, IMO. I suppose it would be a good choice if your only shopping option is Petsmart, but independent feed stores usually have better foods for a better price.
weird! i get [or used to - it's what i fed the ferals] a 20 pound bag for about that same price.
just checked their website - new packaging, new sizes. wonder why companies do that?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

weird! i get [or used to - it's what i fed the ferals] a 20 pound bag for about that same price.
just checked their website - new packaging, new sizes. wonder why companies do that?
so they make more $$ as most take months to years to figure out that the 20 lb bag does not seem to last as long since it is really a 16 lb...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PetSmart seems to be higher than Petco here, but I stopped by Target today and picked up 2 3.5 lb bags of food (Naturals and Chicken and Rice) for about 11 bucks. This is really only for Chickster since we have that huge bag of Cat chow, but I will divvy it up for the other cats. Got some wet too for .40 cents a can (Friskies)

Unfortunately, the Purina Naturals is a total no go. The only one who likes it is Mississippi and she ate the Naturals out of all three bowls and left the Cat Chow :T

Chickster is gobbling up the Purina One Chicken and Rice. I think I figured out why I couldn't find the Chicken and Rice for so long -- It's been repackaged and is now called "Smart Blends" -- It's first ingredient is Chicken followed by brewer's rice, then corn gluten meal. I am wondering why they decided to repackage it because it was selling like hot cakes before this. Anyway, chickster's happy, Bowel movements are normal, and everyone else is content. Finally!

This will turn into one of those families where the Mom has to cook three separate meals for everyone because no one likes the same thing LOL! Oh well.

Thanks guys <3