Cat choking/gagging?

Yardi.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so my cat has been what I think is gagging and/or coughing for the entire day. Earlier she vomited and it was just clear liquid and without the whole big productions cats usually do before throwing up grass, food or hairballs (the usual tongue out , drooling , etc.). Then after that I kept noticing her coughing through out the day and her meow has been sounding very course and scratchy since yesterday. And now she has been making strange retching noises more and more frequently followed by constant swallowing and gagging (I believe). Wondering if this is emergency worthy or can I wait until my vet is open again ?? ( considering it's Xmas eve) ALSO yesterday and the day before , my siamese had a couple quite concerning coughing fits which basically was her stopping everything she was doing and stretching her neck out and coughing more than several times . Over the pasts few days this has happened more than 4 times. I have 9 cats altogether and the rest all seem fine minus an unusual amount of sneezing coming from a couple of my older kitties. I can't really think of anything we've been doing differently in the house , although my house is quite old and would most likely have molds/dusts and what not. Maybe this is the cause??

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is an emergency. It might be asthma and untreated can be fatal.
Are you using anything with essential oils? Any Christmas decorations up?

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this time of the year there is so much that changes in the house with Christmas decorations and tree appearing it can be difficult to pin point the exact cause for new symptoms.
Christmas trees and decorations sit untouched for a year, gathering dust and if stored in a damp place like a shed they may also be a bit mouldy on the boxes. We then bring them all into the house and put them up all over the place.

As we all know, cats have to investigate. They sniff stuff, they bite shiney things, they jump into boxes then lick their paws.

If we're really unlucky then occasionally they eat something like a bit of string that dropped unnoticed or perhaps a bit of tinsel was just too tempting to be ignored.

Gagging and coughing could be caused by a number of reasons, and with 9 cats in your house I'm sure you know all of this. I know I'm not telling you anything new, but sometimes having someone point out the obvious helps you to sort of "connect the dots" if you know what I mean.
Do you regularly treat for hairballs? If not can you try that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yardi.d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All decorations are new this year but the tree is live and I know they like drinking the water from it so you make a really good point. She seems to be better now, voice back to normal and no more gagging but it certainly seemed to me she had something small stuck in her throat or somewhere close in that area. Very well could have been some pine needle or tinsel , and again you're absolutely correct that sometimes someone pointing out the obvious that is overlooked can be a very good reminder. Thank you for that. She seems back to her normal self although a lot more tired than usual so I'm still monitoring her closely.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased to hear that she is getting better, pine needles are nasty little suckers, fingers crossed it wasn't something like that.