Cat Chews?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing a lot of enrichment for my dogs (Kongs, Lickimats, pumpkin ice cubes, chews, etcs.) and realized that the cats are a bit left out. I want to give them some more to do, especially since none of them are the most playful or active cats. I thought more mental stimulation would be good for them. So, I'm starting to compile a list of things I can do with them. I have used Lickimats and might get some more small Kongs. But since I've been giving the dogs so many edible chews, it got me wondering if there were any that would be an appropriate size for cats. I have one cat in particular who tends to like to chew on things, but nothing that he should be eating! However, even the chicken feet seem a bit large for them to have on any sort of regular basis. I'm also not sure how cats compare to dogs in this department. Their teeth seem so small and slender that I worry about them breaking. Would chews last longer for cats than they do for dogs? Or will they crunch them up just as quickly? I would either need something small enough they could eat, say, once or twice a week or something they won't be able to eat all of right away and might last a few uses.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken gizzards may provide your kitty a welcome treat a couple of times a week. If you choose to feed your cat raw chicken gizzards, Wilmington (Delaware) Animal Hospital recommends freezing the organ for several days to kill the organisms Toxoplasma gondii and Neosporum caninum. Otherwise, you can lightly steam your cat’s special treat. If this is her first experience with chicken gizzards, try cutting it up into fine pieces and mixing a teaspoon or two into her normal food -- a method that’s especially suited for a cat who enjoys canned food. She may appreciate the treat. Chicken gizzards are great for a cat’s teeth, removing plaque and working to strengthen her teeth and gums.
Source: Acceptable Food for Guinea Pigs (Odd title. The page is actually about gizzards and cats.)

If your cats will chew on them, chicken gizzards can be excellent for keeping their teeth clean while also giving them quite a bit of chewing to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but have you ever considered some of 'toys' that dispense cat treats? Here are some examples on Amazon.
Amazon.com : cat treat dispensing toys
Yes, dispensers are something I can do and will begin collecting. I had some, but they were really too easy and the cats figured them out very quickly.

I've had the sticks before though not the silvervine ones, I don't think. Silvervine was something I wanted to use and they did like the sticks. They just always ended up losing them, but they did like them. Those chew treats are more of what I was thinking though! I would like to find a variety of things I can give them to mix it up, but those are definitely a good start. Thank you.

Source: Acceptable Food for Guinea Pigs (Odd title. The page is actually about gizzards and cats.)

If your cats will chew on them, chicken gizzards can be excellent for keeping their teeth clean while also giving them quite a bit of chewing to do.
Ah, that's an idea. I do give the dogs organ meat sometime, but I think I do remember the gizzards being a bit tough to use as treats. Cleaning their teeth is a plus too! Thanks for the tip.