cat chasing tail, biting it, and hissing/growling at it

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really sure if this is behavioral or medical, and I will be calling the vet to make an appointment tomorrow.

Background: Adopted 3 year old sister kitties (spayed), almost 4 years ago. They were overweight dilute calicos.  While still a little on the heavy side, they are a much better weight than they were when we go them.  They have always been very cuddly and friendly cats, even with strangers.  Nothing unusual has been happening in the house.  Both cats have chased their tails at some point.  A couple of months ago, one of them has caught her tail, bit it, and then hissed at it.  At the time, we thought it was hilarious.  She did it occasionally after that, and weirdly, she only did it when I was reading to my son in his darkened room at night.  Now she is doing it most nights, when I read to him and occasionally at other times...always in his room (we never shut the door if she's in there, and we do keep her out of his room at night).  I honestly can't say I've seen her do it anywhere else.  My husband checked her tail, and it does seem that she has bitten it enough to have some small scabs there.  The rest of the time, she is her usual, loving, friendly self.  Just trying to get a feel for what might be going on...any ideas?

Thanks.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen any signs of fleas?  I'm glad you are planning to take her in to the vet because that is what I would do also. 
  Better to rule out something medical and get their take on it.  But I've not had any personal experience with it.  It just sounds like something is irritating her.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope....no fleas. Thanks, though!

ashyfulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she has dry skin or allergies that are bugging her.

Or the first time she did it, she learned it got your attention, and now she does it to get just that. We had a cat who'd play with his tail and one time he bit it so hard he hissed and ran like it was the tail's fault he got hurt 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also sounds to me like she does it for attention. Ignore her and it should stop :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'll try to give her more attention at other times. Although she is always with one of us...on our lap if one is available...