Cat Carrier Training

jzcombo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a four month old bengal, and move around often with him in the car with a pet carrier. He meows the a majority of the time, relaxing only a couple minutes worth in between.

Is it possible to train the cat to enjoy or be quiet in the carrier?

I am thinking of clicker training him while he is quiet in the carrier. Will that work?

He has access to the carrier all day and does go in it freely. Should I start to offer him treats inside the carrier while at home?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Letting him have access to the carrier all day is a great idea.  However, he knows it's a safe haven so that's not why he's so anxious.  It's being in the car and away from his home that's worrying him.  Putting treats in the carrier is a good move but I'd only do so when you're actually in the car, and after you get to your destination.  That will help him associate car rides with good things.

Another thing you might try is spraying the carrier and your car with Feliway, which is a product based on pheromones cats emit when they are content.  Although it doesn't work every time, it's definitely worth trying because it does often calm anxious cats in just this situation. 

I've never done clicker training so don't feel qualified to give any advice on that, but my immediate reaction is:  it can't hurt, so why not try?

One thing in your favor - your boy is only 4 months old.  If you frequently take him in the car, at some point, he will hopefully get used to it.  It would be much more difficult if you were dealing with an older cat, set in its ways. 

Good luck!

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Missy has been spayed, she hates (going to) the vet. To avoid a negative association with the carrier, I continiously try to make it attractive by using it during play time (I throw balls and paper lumps in it) and by putting her favorite toys in it. The carrier has its regular spot under my desk, where Missy likes to keep me company.

It worked !

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use the carrier to "go" places. From the room she's in-to-where her food is at feeding time. From room to room. From inside to outside. Upstairs to downstairs....I'm not sure if it was the "going" that worked, or if it was just the redundancy of it. He made little one minute trips in that carrier, two or three or more times every day.
And that worked. Until he's leash trained, he now knows that the carrier means he gets to go somewhere. And I can assure you, if he didn't want to be in a carrier, you wouldn't even try. :lol: