Cat Care Whilst Travelling?

jolo84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on cat care. I'm a teacher and I'd really like to go away during the long summer holidays for an extended trip to South America, However I'm worried about leaving my 2 cats.

I have a pet sitter who I trust who has taken care of them on weekends when I've been away but the trip I'm looking at would mean me being gone for 4-6 weeks which I feel is a really long time to leave them. I don't want them to be bored whilst I'm gone for such a long time but I know in general cats are happier in their own environments.

The other option is boarding them at a cattery, they've never been to a cattery before but I'd be willing to give it a trial run before the summer to see if they'd prefer it. They're indoor but they're quite nervous and they don't really like new people/places so I'm not convinced it would be right for them but could be worth a try if it means they'll get more attention.

Just wondered what other people thought and whether anyone else had taken an extended trip and had some advice.

TIA,

Jo

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not taken trips longer than 2 weeks, but my cat (at the time) was a total love bug, and I didn't want to leave him with only sitter visits. My sitter is a neighbor, and although she works (I'm retired), she agreed to live in my house while I was gone. Keep in mind that the cat is stressed by any change in his/her schedule or environment, but it's best to minimize that stress as much as possible.

Is it possible you could get a house/cat sitter to replace you during your long trip?

I tried boarding my boy once because a new 'pet spa' opened up where he would have his own room, big picture window, etc., etc. It cost a fortune, but fortunately I tried him for just a weekend--and it was a disaster [details are too long]. Unless my cat needed to be boarded for medical reasons, I'd stay home before boarding a cat ever again.