Cat care checklist

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have decided to have the neighbor boy (around 16yrs old) to care for the cats while hubby and I take a two week vacation sometime soon.  We usually board the cats, but now that we have four, the cost is rather prohibitive and I would like to see the cats stay in their home environment instead of cages for two weeks.

I would appreciate any advice from people on how to set this up successfully.  What should I ask for?

I believe that the kid is capable of doing this because he has been raising and showing bunnies for at least 5yrs.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he really mature enough to do 2 whole weeks?  16 sounds very young to me, at least for most of the 16yos I know.  Have you checked first with his parents?  Especially if they will have to give him lifts for this?

Good links.  I would add that when you ring your vets, make sure you give them your mobile number.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links Detmut!  

Oriental Slave - I made sure that I had the consent of his parents and also they live next door so travel won't be an issue.  My in-laws live on the other side of us so they can keep an eye out on things.  The boy's parents think that this is a good idea and I know that they will make sure that he does what he promised to do..

gethenian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he really mature enough to do 2 whole weeks?  16 sounds very young to me, at least for most of the 16yos I know.  Have you checked first with his parents?  Especially if they will have to give him lifts for this?

Good links.  I would add that when you ring your vets, make sure you give them your mobile number.
Kids mature at different rates in their teens, and you can of course only really judge if you know a kid in person, but I was trusted with pet-sitting duties for my neighbors' cats for periods of up to a week or more when I was 14. Plus... 16 is the age when kids can be legally hired and trusted with cash registers and customers, and be allowed to drive cars, why shouldn't they be capable of taking care of cats by that age? Cats are easier than cars. And customers. ;)