Cat can't feel tail, hissing and biting it.

Dancezwithctaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and I hope I posted this is the right area. Sorry ahead of time if I didn't.

So about a month ago, my cat started chasing her own tail. She's only a year and a half old, and is still playful like a kitten so it wasn't anything we were too worried about.

We recently went on vacation, and when we came home I noticed her getting more and more aggressive with her tail. She starts hissing and growling, and then she starts attacking it. She acts like it scared her that it's there. Every day I am terrified ill come home from work and she'll have maimed herself.

I did a Google search and found feline hyperesthesia as the possible cause. I called the vet and they said to being her in. So I went a few days ago and the vet ran a test and determined she can't feel 3/4 of her tail, however she can feel deep pain. They didn't diagnose her with anything but I have a sinking suspicion that feline hyperesthesia is the cause.

The vet gave her some medication and said we should try this first but if it doesn't work, we need to have a real talk about amputation.

This has kept me up, stressed me out, and for now the medication seems to be working.

I am posting all this to ask other cat owners if they have gone through something like this and any advice you can give to help me figure out what's going on, and what I can do.

I was thinking about some dietary changes and getting more toys and things to keep her distracted.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. This cat means the world to me, and I am just worried she's suffering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dancezwithctaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone else has had to have their cats tail amputated, how did it impact the cat? Did they ever recover fully?

I really don't want to go down that route but I would like to know as much as possible before we even consider it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Although I can't say with any guarantee, I don't think FHS involves lack of feeling - but there are those who think it is nerve related in one form or another. Your case does sound like some sort of nerve damage might be the culprit, which despite a lack of feeling can also cause pain. Ask your vet about consulting with either an internal medicine vet or perhaps one who specializes in neurology. They might be in a better position to identify possible treatments in lieu of amputation.

I also am inclined to think that if amputation is the end result, your cat would adapt just fine. I see no reason why tail amputation would be any 'worse' than amputation of a leg and most cats learn quite well to compensate for the loss, and fairly quickly too!

There is a recent post from another member who was having an issue with their cat chewing their tail and was also concerned about amputation. They have not posted an update, but perhaps when seeing your post they might. Here is the thread if you want to read it - Tail Chewing | TheCatSite. The OP is C CarmiesMom .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Starting with your final concern, I have amputated tails from feral cats who had gotten into fights and had developed a gangrenous tail. It is not an issue on any level; the surgery is not as gruesome as you are probably imagining, animals heal entirely, and it can solve the issue permanently. It will not affect the well being of the cat. One tailless boy has been out here for years and I see him on a regular basis coming for his food.

However, I don't think that you should run right out and do this. As was suggested, consult with an internist or neurologist if you can.

Chelsea has FHS. In her case, it was the tail that she would not recognize during the episodes, which became quite violent. She never did go so far as to self mutilate and in her case another major illness intervened which seemed to have cut back on the episodes, for absolutely no good reason at all and with no explanation. If it had continued, I would have used medication for her.

FHS is considered to be a seizure disorder by some, certainly nerves are involved, and there are possibly some rule out conditions that you could mention to your vet. It can be controlled and is not connected to any other serious illnesses.

Hyperesthesia Syndrome

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any medication for nerves takes a while to start working. If the meds seem to be making a difference already, give them a chance. I would try them for at least three to four months before you decide anything. Make sure the surgeon you get for your cat knows what they are doing, the nerves in the tail also control defecating and urinating in cats. I have seen cats that have had their tails amputated due to injury, and they did fine, they went on to live a normal life.