Cat cannot be disciplined

cortney brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at my wit's end.

I have a 10 month old Siamese mix, and she could not care less about discipline. I don't know how to get her to stop doing things that are bad around here (like chewing wires or jumping on tables and desks).

I've tried the "loud noise" distraction, I've tried playing with her until I'm the one that's tired. Right now, I'm very sick and I can't keep getting up to grab her every time she is doing something bad. I play with her and make sure she has all her necessities and it well attended to and cared for at all times.

If I yell or shake something loud, she just looks at me while she continues to do it.

I'm afraid of other methods because I don't want her to fear me or live in fear, like I've heard happens when people spray water on them or hit them (I would never hit her).

She is also aggressive and bites when you try to pick her up sometimes, and I don't know what to do. I love her so much and I'll never get rid of her, but I truly don't know what to do.

She is also not yet spayed (financial reasons, she will be spayed as soon, though). Will her behavior change once she is spayed? Will she calm down at all? She wakes me up way too early every morning, and I haven't gotten a good nigh't rest in ages. I try to close my door or ignore her to make her know she can't get attention at night, but she just claws and destroys the carpet, and I rent, so I am going to lose my security deposit.

I would love any ideas, please.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, spaying will take care of most of these issues. 

She's a very young cat - all the behavior you are mentioning is typical for cats her age.  

For clawing you can try using claw covers which are easily available at pet stores or Amazon.  There are several brands such as Soft Claws. Making sure she has adequate access to appropriate scratching surfaces too - of various sizes and shapes.  One of our cats prefers a tall post, the other, likes the ones closer to the floor made of cardboard.

I'd also bring her in for a vet check if you haven't already.  It's always a possibility she's biting because when you pick her up she's in pain somewhere.  Probably not - most likely it's just due to her hormones but one never knows.  Hence, again why spaying is so important.  All cats should have this done once they hit 2 pounds in weight.  The surgery is then safe for them.

I get the feeling you might be new to living with cats.  Here are some links to articles which may help:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-behavior-for-beginners

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-dos-and-donts-of-cat-behavior-modification

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-to-spay-neuter-a-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spay-and-neuter-your-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to add but I'm sure the experts will be by soon.  At 10 months she's still quite a kitten and acts like one even though she looks like an adult.  After spaying she will change.  She'll get a little lazier.  I've found a good way to spare my furniture from scratching by adding a throw to the chair or sofa.  For some reason, and maybe it only works with mine so I don't really know, they don't scratch on the chairs with the throws!  I had bought very expensive eastern red cedar scratchers (($150 a piece!) and they wouldn't even go near them! :(  So think cheap for the most part.  Cats do not care how much you spend on them.  They'd rather have the box something comes in anyway!  

Jackson Galaxy always suggests putting those little ledges on the walls to help satisfy their climbing needs.  A cat tree would work too.  Placed near a window would be good.  Good luck!

Last edited:

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing is that you don’t punish her. Punishment doesn’t work with cats, they’ll just fear and dislike you, like you correctly think.

What works is persuasion by offering attractive alternatives to them than what they’re doing and rewarding them for choosing these.

You mention playing with her, but not getting her toys to keep her busy. But playing with the cat is important for strengthening your bonds with her. Cats love to run, jump, climb, scratch and bite. So provide a cat tree and several scratching posts around the house. Also provide toys she can bite, e.g. stuffed mice.

If possible, create a kitty space or playground inn your house that she can use all day long.

Reward your kitty for positive behavior as often as you can so she knows she's on the right track. It’s important to be consistent. Methods of reward are soft talking, petting, playing with her (e.g. with dangling toys), and of course treats. If you get tired playing with her, use a laser pointer – many cats love it.

It’s also important to show the cat what not to do with a harsh tone of voice (not punishment).

Other things you can do is remove her from the situation or the room by grabbing scruff of her neck. E.g. every time the cat scratches or bites you, you can isolate her in another room and let her protest. To stop her climbing on kitchen surfaces, you can spray them with lemon juice that cats hate and avoid.

Lastly, once more, be consistent!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Other things you can do is remove her from the situation or the room by grabbing scruff of her neck. E.g. every time the cat scratches or bites you, you can isolate her in another room and let her protest. To stop her climbing on kitchen surfaces, you can spray them with lemon juice that cats hate and avoid.

Lastly, once more, be consistent!
I need to add something here.  It has been recently found that scruffing should NOT be done.  It is a bad myth that persists.

Mother cats have a special way of doing this that can not be replicated by human hands.  You risk injury to the cat let alone, creating more fear in them.

Never scruff.  

https://cat-behaviour-and-cat-grooming.com/2014/08/12/6-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-scruff-your-cat/

http://www.catbehaviourist.com/scruffing-is-bad-for-your-cat.html

Also,to clarify the other point -  the lemon juice is sprayed ON the counter NOT on the cat.  

redaccent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some kittens are..... Well, naughtier than others. I put water in a spray bottle and give a little spritz in the face when my kitten is bad. She hates it, but gets the message. When she sees me going for that spray bottle, she knows to stop whatever she's doing. My kitten right now is reeeeeeeaallly bad. But she has matured as time has gone on. Usually it's a phase, just like puppies. Give her some time. Sounds like she's in the terrible twos right now.:D

redaccent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also agree with sivyaleah, the more you show anger the cat will react to this. We don't want your kitty to be fearful of you. She will get more aggressive as time goes on if you grab at her like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cortney brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all.

She definitely will be spayed soon. my County has a charity to help people spay their pets for free, and we were just recently told we would be receiving a voucher, so as soon as we get it in the mail, she will have an appointment.

She does have toys and a scratching post. She has a treasure trove of bottle caps she loves to play with scattered all through the house. I also try and lure her away from things using treats. I just don't feel like she is getting the message, though I'm glad it's normal for kittens.

She's a sweet girl, just very mischievous, and I'm glad you've all given me some good advice. I grew up with cats, though we never had kittens, always adults, so this amount of naughtiness is new to me.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens are..... Well, naughtier than others. I put water in a spray bottle and give a little spritz in the face when my kitten is bad. She hates it, but gets the message. When she sees me going for that spray bottle, she knows to stop whatever she's doing. My kitten right now is reeeeeeeaallly bad. But she has matured as time has gone on. Usually it's a phase, just like puppies. Give her some time. Sounds like she's in the terrible twos right now.:D
I would advise against spraying. It makes your kitten scared of you, but doesn't teach them not to do the behavior. They don't make the connection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cortney brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read that a lot, I definitely don't way to spray her

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ sivyaleah

While I do not disagree with you, I clarify that by “grabbing scruff of neck” I do not mean pick the cat up, but merely immobilize her, so that she can be carried normally. Trying to pick a cat up by the scruff may hurt her and then she may be able to scratch you. Thanks for the clarification.

As regards the clarification that the lemon juice is sprayed on the counter and not on the cat, this is unnecessary, as it was quite clear from my statement:

“To stop her climbing on kitchen surfaces, you can spray them with lemon juice that cats hate and avoid.”

It’s quite clear that “them” can only refer to the surfaces and not to her.

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I need to add something here.  It has been recently found that scruffing should NOT be done.  It is a bad myth that persists.

Mother cats have a special way of doing this that can not be replicated by human hands.  You risk injury to the cat let alone, creating more fear in them.

Never scruff.  

https://cat-behaviour-and-cat-grooming.com/2014/08/12/6-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-scruff-your-cat/

http://www.catbehaviourist.com/scruffing-is-bad-for-your-cat.html
Interesting. Scruffing as described in those links is lifting the cat by the scruff and holding it suspended. I understood scruffing to mean holding the cat down to the floor by the scruff, which I thought was the mother cat's way of disciplining. Suspending the cat by the scruff seems pointless as discipline, because AFAICS it only mimics mother cat transporting the kitten from one place to another.