Cat Cancer Immediate Answers Needed Thank You

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so I have a cat Sharky who is only 4 and last week he wasn't eating/puking after eating so I took him to the vet and they drained fluid from his lung and sent me to a cardiologist. Cardiologist gave me an all clear but the fluid analysis came back with large cell lymphoma. :(

I have an oncologist appointment Thursday with a really reputable doctor. At first, he was acting fine! Once the lung was drained, he was his normal self. Now he's sub par. He still eats. He is still "moderately" energetic but he's been sneezing constantly for two days and coughing today and doing this kind of three breath unsure cough thing that I can't explain properly. But I'm terrified, despite his resting breath rate being around 20 while sleeping. Could this just be a cold or an infection of some kind (weather did change the other day and my other cat even sneezed for a bit but nothing like Sharky.) I want to know if I should rush him to a vet ASAP before the oncologist appointment on Thursday but, unfortunately, there are monetary concerns. I've already spent thousands on testing and the oncologist's tests are coming, and then possible treatment, and I'm terrified and just want to do right by him. He is my friend who QUITE LITERALLY found me the first day I moved in and ever since then we've been inseparable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi SharkyandCinnamon SharkyandCinnamon ,
did the vet tell you that your cat has a large cell lymphoma by only testing the fluids taken from his chest?

My cat has been found with a rather good amount of fluid in her chest a few days ago. She's been drained and analysed twice so far but no diagnosis has been made yet because the fluid alone isn't enough to give a name to the disease.
That's why we're going to have a CT scan done later this week and we hope that during or right after the scan the vets are able to do a needle aspiration of whatever they will find. They told me that only with the aspiration it will be possible to know what my cat has.
My cat has absolutely no symptoms, she's fine, eating, playing, doing her things.
We found that fluid by pure chance while during another visit.
this is the link to my thread
Fluid In Cat's Chest - Advice Needed

All the best and kisses to Sharky!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes only the fluid is what we have to work on right now. I am seeing an oncologist Thursday who will, I suppose, do more accurate tests. Thank you for the link!! Also same and good luck to you. I guess there were lymphocytes in the fluid? I'm not sure. So your cat just fills up every once in a while? How far apart?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we both will be busy on Thursday,you'll be visiting with your vet, my cat will have a CT scan done to her chest.

Yes, there were lymphocytes in her fluid, but she misses all symptoms that would lead to a diagnosis of lymphoma.
She was first found with fluids in her chest on August 7th but the amount was very little, the vets didn't feel confident to draw it. A month later 55 ml were drained. Just 16 days later they drew 105 ml.
They told that the fluid builds up faster and faster every time it is drained. And it can't be drawn forever.
Best wishes your cat !!!

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am hoping and praying for you that Pallina will be okay! It's just one thing after another!I am waiting to hear what the Drs. will say after her test!Hugs to both of you.

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same with Sharky! Fluid in lungs, lymphocytes showed up. He had symptoms but just of the fluid that went away as soon as it was drained. Terrifying oncologist appointment Thursday! How old is your cat? This is so hard because cats are so stoic, dangerously so, and don't whine or show off symptoms or anything. And I just want to do the right thing by him! Good luck with the CT scan and thanks a lot kittylove for you well wishes!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same with Sharky! Fluid in lungs, lymphocytes showed up. He had symptoms but just of the fluid that went away as soon as it was drained. Terrifying oncologist appointment Thursday! How old is your cat? This is so hard because cats are so stoic, dangerously so, and don't whine or show off symptoms or anything. And I just want to do the right thing by him! Good luck with the CT scan and thanks a lot kittylove for you well wishes!
My cat is 16 years and 5 months old. I'm terrified too, because I don't know what it can be, the vets don't know either.
The fact that she shows no symptoms might sound good, but I had bad experiences in the past with a cat that now is at the Rainbow Bridge. The vets couldn't find anything and when they did it was nearly too late.
Fingers and tails crossed for our little furry friends!

(P.S.: sorry for the typos in my previous post, but it happens when I use my smartphone...)

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope you let me know how it goes. About to post an update because I am in serious need of advice.

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was confusing. I'm assuming you are not gonna mind a copy/paste. So here goes nothing.

As you may have read, he was recently diagnosed with large cell lymphoma via a lung fluid analysis. His blood was fine. His urine was fine. No masses showed up in any scan. He is not experiencing any symptoms as far as I know(except prior to the fluid draining, he had pleural effusion in his lung(s.)

So I just got back from the oncologist, where they recommended immediate and aggressive chemotherapy ASAP. I didn't start today because they also suggested something called a PARR test, which would/should/could alleviate any doubt I have about the diagnosis. I just felt a bit off starting today when he is asymptomatic and none of the other tests have showed anything. Was that stupid?

Also, the PARR test is 780 dollars. That's the big one. I CAN do it but it will cut into chemo money significantly. Is it worth it to go forward with this exorbitantly priced test or should I just take the oncologist's word for it, based on the original fluid analysis? I really have NO idea what to do any advice would be so so so helpful.

As of now I have two appointments for him for Saturday. One to start chemo and one to draw fluid for that test. Chemo, as expected, is mega-expensive, placed in the 5k-6k range spread out over six months.
My heart tells me that I should do the test, despite the utterly ridiculous price tag, for peace of mind. But also, that's almost 2 chemo treatments. UGH UGH.

I don't want to be a child and hope upon hopes that this more extensive test will somehow reveal a miracle but at the same time i'm terrified of putting him through the stress of chemo when he is asymptomatic. What do you think? As usual he was a total champ at the vet and everyone fell in love with him.

OH YEAH. As far as chemo goes. I got the exact medication protocol written down and I have been in contact with a vet van which could do it at around 2k-3k for the entire treatment. MUCH more doable. The only downside is none of the vans are convenient, with the chemo treatment being performed in staten island (far from me) but they said I could take him to a drop off point in Queens and they'd take him to Staten Island and keep him all day and then I'd pick him up later. That seems like a lot for him to go through but...it's less than half the cost.